PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend an auto transport company?

77_MG_Midget
04-19-2006, 01:07 PM
I'm thinking about buying a rusty, non-running 1969 GT6+ to be used as a parts car for my '69 GT6. It would need to be shipped from WI to Las Vegas. I've never had a car shipped before. Can anyone recommend a REPUTABLE company? THANKS!!

R6MGS
04-19-2006, 02:21 PM
TFX international.....I believe there based in Toronto...but as the name says they're 'international' ......I've had them ship a few cars of mine...very pleased with the service...Thery even shipped the new ferrari's here for the Auto Show!
I can't seam to find any contact info, might want to try googling them

Ab Crevoiserat
04-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Who ever you deal with make sure that they are the owner not a broker. They lie like a rug.

Geo Hahn
04-19-2006, 05:44 PM
Shipping a non-runner may be problematic or at the very least cost more than a running car. You might get a couple of quick quotes from the usual sources just to decide if it is worth it.

I have used moving vans (with my furniture), owner-operators and brokers -- all sucessfully though an owner-operator with a good recommendation is probably your best bet, especially if you're not in a big hurry.

R6MGS
04-19-2006, 06:51 PM
TFX doesn't have any problems with non running....they had to push my LE a 1/2 mile to the nearest major road because the owner lived down a small residential street and their truck wouldn't fit.(this is in Pensacola Florida)

crj7driver
04-19-2006, 09:50 PM
I highly recommend Peterson auto transport. They moved my TR6 in 2000 and it was in a fully enclosed car trailer that could only hold 3 cars. They can move it if it does not run, but expect to pay extra. At the times there rates were only marginaly more expensive than the big open car carriers (just was not comfortable with those guys due to how narrow and low the TR is). They charged me, $9xx.00 in 2000 to go from and to, two out of the way places, around 900 miles.

I am not sure if they are still in business, but here is there info Peterson Transport. They are out of Kansas but have trucks going throughout the U.S. Their phone is 785-568-2104.

Good luck

AggieCPA
04-19-2006, 11:52 PM
I've been in that spot before. I have two recommendations:

1) Look at www.uship.com (https://www.uship.com) You are more apt to find someone going that way, returning and wanting to pick up a return load, etc.

2) Look in Hemmings. When I have shipped non-op cars I look for people based near where the car is or where you want it hauled to because the odds are they have to be near there anyway. You shouldn't have too hard a tima as it seems easier to send a car from the midwest to the west than vice-versa.

77_MG_Midget
05-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Update... Well, I bought the rusty old '69 GT6. It will be sacrificed to restore my car, which fortunately doesn't have any rust.

I looked around at all the big transport companies. UShip was of no help, everyone there wanted more than a professional company.

I unded up hiring Express Auto Transport https://www.theexpressauto.com/

So far, I couldn't say enough good things about this company. They picked the car up on Monday, 5/1. The driver called last night from Wyoming. One drop today in Salt Lake City and my car is next. He's thinking around 6PM tonight the car will be in Las Vegas. 3 days total from Wisconsin?? I couldn't be happier.

startech47
05-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Do not use Reliable out of CA. They bit me for $650.00, a broker, I found out. Raindeer was prompt and provided very nice service. TR3 from WI to VA. They delivered with an open car carrier, at my choice. Phil