PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Bumper Overrider

CaptRoy
04-17-2006, 06:01 PM
Interesting question guys... My 1960 TR3A does not have front overriders on it. I looked in Moss, Pg 68, and they show the overriders along with a "Overrider support tube" for 3A and 3B. It shows the front of the tube and it shows a bolt to the overrider but.. it does not show a bolt or where the rear support tube attaches to.

1. Does anyone know where the rear of the support tube attaches?

2. Do I really need this support tube?

3. Can I use the ones for a 3 that do not have the support tube?

Thanks Guys.. If you were not here I'd never keep this great car on the road!!

Don Elliott
04-17-2006, 07:05 PM
The support tube for the TR3A is flattened at the outer end. It is 90 degrees up with a hole and bolts to the top bolt behind the overider. It fits through the grille of the TR3A where there is a clearance for them. The inner end is bent flat at about a 45 degree angle with a stud welded to to the bent and flattened inner end. The stud goes through the hole provided for this in the inner fender behind the turn signal lights. Then a flat washer and a nut behind the front wheel holds this end. This also hold the cardboard air deflector that forces the air to pass through the radiator.

I don't think the TR3 tubular supports would work.

CaptRoy
04-17-2006, 07:28 PM
Thanks again Don,

I saw those holes and thought that was what they were for.. I'm going to order them tomorrow...

sammyb
04-17-2006, 07:33 PM
The overriders were easily dented, and the chrome also went bad quickly, so it's not uncommon to have them removed. Also, racers tended to remove them to make it easier to remove the bumper assembly at the track.

Andrew Mace
04-17-2006, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the TR3 tubular supports would work.

[/ QUOTE ]Correct! The "profile" of the TR2/3 bumper bar is quite different from that of the 3A.