PDA

View Full Version : TR6 She's here!!(the TR6) pics

R6MGS
04-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Well I've been patiently waiting to take ownership of my new 1976 TR6(Boricua).....So far I am very pleased with the car, I got it early this morning and spent the day getting reaquainted with the TR6...I scrubbed the top and did my best to clear up the windows,Got through polishing half the paint on the car(it took a a wet sanding and 6 different grades of compounds/waxes to bring the shine back) I'll do the other half tomorrow after the ancaster show...It still needs alot of cleaning, the engine compartment has NEVER been touched and is extremely dirty, the interior will need a good scrubbing, the wheels need painting and numerous other little repairs must be made.
Aside from the rear end 'clunk' I posted about earlier the car is mechanically very good, starts first crank, no smoke, pulls strong, and sounds great! Redlines have almost no wear...I am really happy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

These pics where taken just after I got it home, before any work was done....it looks way better now, just with the few hours of work I got in today....I even put the union jack stickers back on(I had some from days gone by) and just that made a huge difference.

https://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/284000-284999/284243_106_full.jpg

https://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/284000-284999/284243_107_full.jpg

Sorry about the poor picture quality...it was early and I wanted to get to work, so I kinda rushed the pics.

Brosky
04-15-2006, 09:40 PM
Gee, it looks just like mine, except it's brown............

Good luck with her.

DNK
04-15-2006, 09:53 PM
Looks like mine,and is the same awful color.

R6MGS
04-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Yeah, I've hated that color since I had a spitfire in that brown as well....but when polished up it looks acceptable....The color is what lead to her name...somehow 'brown' lead to 'boricua'

KLUTZ
04-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Looks great. Going tomorow?

R6MGS
04-15-2006, 10:12 PM
I'll be there! I've now got a list of TR6 parts I needs to scout out....Won't be taking the 6 thou, mg's are all still in storage....So I am debating whether to take the Jag...or to give the Caddy a good highway run(proably needs to from all the bumper to bumper traffic it's in).

frankenstang57
04-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Hehehe, British racing <font color="brown">Brown!</font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LastDeadLast
04-15-2006, 10:52 PM
Yeah, that was my car's original color too... thankfully some DPO in the past had the smarts to paint it Pimento Red. I'll never go back.

AngliaGT
04-15-2006, 11:50 PM
I guess it's a good thing that Brown isn't your favorite color on 6's - Could have started a lively exchange of posts.

- Doug

swift6
04-16-2006, 09:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that was my car's original color too... thankfully some DPO in the past had the smarts to paint it Pimento Red. I'll never go back.

[/ QUOTE ]

That made me chuckle. My car was originally Pimento Red and I'll never go back to it. There is a bit of a back story to it though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

04-16-2006, 10:13 AM
Color selection is a highly personal thing. Personally I'm just not into reds, had two red cars (including the TR6) and will never own another. There is also the maintenance thing, only color harder to keep nice than a bright red is black IMO. My TR6 is carmine but I'd love to reshoot it BRG. I'd really love to do it Fords new tungsten silver, but my interior is the wrong color for that.

R6MGS
04-16-2006, 06:23 PM
I hate the brown....I was at a show today and saw many TR6's....I really like dark red, white, and french blue(i had a french blue on a while back).....but I had another productive day, got almost the entire polishing done(cept hood)...and i got some needed parts from todays show, so I am well on my way to having a TR6 thats up to my standards, and by that I mean it's clean and shiny....It is not, and never will be a show car, it's just a fun car.

DNK
04-16-2006, 06:28 PM
My thoughts are to reshot my BSbrown to a matalic brown I had on my 73 Capri. That thing sparkled!
don

04-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Wow thats funny, must have been a Ford thing. The most gorgeous brown I can remember was on the 1975 Ford Granada my parents had when I was a kid. It was chocolate brown with a gold metal flake in it, it was a beautiful paint.

Kurtis
04-16-2006, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...only color harder to keep nice than a bright red is black IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

True... but when polished up nicely, few colors can compare to black on a car. I'm always amazed at how many compliments I get on my wife's 1999 black Honda Accord after it's been washed and waxed - dispite all the door dings (which seem much more visible on a black car as well!).

SCguy
04-16-2006, 09:20 PM
My first TR6 was brown. It took an incredible amount of work to get it cleaned up, but I've liked the color with tan interior ever since. Sold my pimento red about a year ago which ranks up there with yellow as one of my least favorite colors. That being said I'd own a TR6 in any color. I just love the cars. My next will be the French blue.

AngliaGT
04-16-2006, 09:28 PM
I didn't really care for Yellow when I got mine about 10 years ago.For some reason,it's grown on me since then.
Like Larry says - I'd take any color.

- Doug

R6MGS
04-16-2006, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...only color harder to keep nice than a bright red is black IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

True... but when polished up nicely, few colors can compare to black on a car. I'm always amazed at how many compliments I get on my wife's 1999 black Honda Accord after it's been washed and waxed - dispite all the door dings (which seem much more visible on a black car as well!).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said....The actual paint job on my MGB LE isn't so hot, one side is a cheap respray(DPO), the other side is a good respray, and the front fenders are my own....but when is polished properly I've had many people ask 'who did the bodywork on that?'...I say it's a collective effort /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

04-16-2006, 09:59 PM
True, few colors look as good as black when it is clean and polished, it's just a bunch more work getting it there and keeping it looking that way. I love bright yellow but there are only a handful of cars I'd buy in that color, Corvettes, Ferraris, certain year Mustangs. Probably my fav paint on a car I've owned was my 1983 280ZX. It had the factory two tone job, slate blue metal flake over silver. I know two tone paint was real 80's but I loved the look of that car (lousy pic, sorry).

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/Dotanukie/Z2.jpg

R6MGS
04-16-2006, 10:12 PM
Nice looking ZX...I always thought they did a nice job on the front of that car.....Since were on the subject of paint; About a week ago I come out of a mall to find 3 guys(and their wives standing nearby obviously not very happy) looking across the hood of my dark metallic green Caddy(the mean green machine). So i walk up to the car, I think I kind of startled them...one of them complimented the finish and they scurried away.....Kinda odd, not like it's a car that stands out much....I wasn't to sure if they were truly interested in the paint or if they were looking for something to steal.

bobh
04-17-2006, 08:32 AM
My car is Topaz, which is an exotic misnomer. It's more like a pumpkin orange. Not my favorite color. I prefer BRG over tan, like my '71. But it was the best car I could find at a better price than comparable cars. So I bought it. The color has grown on me (a little). It is a '70s color. Some day, many years from now, I'll paint it BRG.

04-17-2006, 10:12 AM
I kinda like that Topaz color, it's not to bad. A guy in my club bought an Austin Healey that the PO had reshot Karmin Ghia orange. Now that was orange, like cheese whiz orange. Right before I bought my car I found one in the classifieds that was Damson, that kinda light purple. I like the color but I'm not to sure about it on a TR6. The french blue is really nice, that I could get into.

R6MGS
04-17-2006, 09:09 PM
The nicest TR6 I ever had was French Blue....bought it from a female army cadet in Maryland....My first son was in the middle of the 'terrible twos' when I bought it so I've got ALOT of stories involving that car.

Made some slow progress with Boricua today...Finally finished polishing the paint, took 5 hours to do the hood alone! and it still doesn't have that depth that I wanted to achieve, but oh well....it's brown anyway. I won't get much time to work on it until next weekend, I plan to pull off the wheels, repaint them...and investigate the rear end clunk...possibly convince SWMBO to help out by cleaning the interior up.

sammyb
04-17-2006, 10:06 PM
I'm one of those guys that likes different cars in different colors. I like the TR3 in Powder Blue, C3 Corvettes and Ferrari 308s in Black, C5 Corvettes in Quicksilver, Porsche 911s in Midnight Blue, XK8s in Gold, Healey 3000s in Healey Blue over White, Lamborghinis and Mopars in Sublime/Pistachio, '69 Camaros in Hugger Orange with Black stripes, TR4s in Signal Red, Aston Martin DB4 in Aston Green and Lancia Stratos in any color.

MadRiver
04-17-2006, 10:19 PM
Great looking car and in a wonderful period color! I was home sick last week, and I caught Alan Alda's "Sweet Liberty" on TV -- one of the main characters drives a '74 or later brown TR-6, perhaps it was Alda's own car! Interestingly, I recall seeing the movie when I was in high school, and liked it then. I could barely sit through it this time -- I only kept watching to see scenes of the car. It had the body stripes that run along the sides, which were hard to see on the brown.

Anyway, enjoy!!

vettedog72
04-18-2006, 05:54 AM
Nice looking car! Did Triumph call the color Maple? Back in the day of manufacture it seemed that all the car companies called the color anything but brown. In fact the only place you could find brown was on a tag/title.

Today, the color has a distinctive look quite apart from the reds and blues.

04-18-2006, 07:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
'69 Camaros in Hugger Orange with Black stripes

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, thats great, you gotta love the marketing things they did with paint names back in the 60's and early 70's. Chevy had the "hugger" colors, Ford had the "grabber" colors. My 71 Mach 1 was grabber blue, which was a very bright almost turquois blue, I loved it. They had grabber blue, green, lime, yellow and orange. Wasn't Plymouths bright green called lime twist, and the purple was crazy plum I believe.

AngliaGT
04-18-2006, 05:06 PM
It was Plum Crazy.They also had Curious Yellow,etc.

- Doug

allen
04-28-2006, 06:32 PM
i hated the brown color too for awhile,but after changing the interior to black,new black top, i have grown to like the color, my first tr6 was yellow,wasn't too fond of it either but grew to like it alot. allen.

Kurtis
04-28-2006, 10:01 PM
The first TR6 I remember was a maroon (I don't remember the proper Triumph color) that my best friend's dad bought when we were in junior high. I barely remember the car - except that I thought the wood dash was cool! He didn't have it long - swapped it out for a Jaguar XJS... brown!

The TR6 that made me decide I wanted a TR6 was a brown one. I remember the brown color giving it a very aggressive look. I still remember the first time I saw it... I was walking across a street in college to the parking lot where my 280Z was parked, with this brown TR6 approaching... he actually stopped for me while I walked across the street, and I remember thinking right there and then that I wanted a TR6. The next summer I bought one - a jasmine colored (pale yellow) 1972. I still love that color as well. All the TR6 colors were cool! They were so 70ish!

Kurtis
04-28-2006, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
TR4s in Signal Red...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sammy... your TR3 is a proper signal red, isn't it? How does the color compare to your red Miata?

Andy Blackley
04-29-2006, 04:48 PM
IIRC that brown is called "Russet". I had an 83 Range Rover in the same color. Looked good with LR "Stone" (off white) steel wheels.