PDA

View Full Version : Raw gas smell.

Crisis
04-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Recently rebuilt my carbs with a major rebuild kit in an attempt to rid my garage of the raw gas smell. Didn't work. Carbs are still wet and smelly and are at risk of being thrown out of the garage. Any suggestions? Hard to tell where the gas is leaking from. Thought it might be that I forgot the gaskets under the choke-but no. One thing I did notice was that under the choke body, in the little hole there is raw gas on one of the carbs. Is it supposed to be there even when choke is closed?

Thank you.

Banjo
04-11-2006, 08:44 PM
What kind of Triumph? SU carbs, ZS carbs?
Either way I would check your float levels. It sounds like the one with visable raw fuel is too high.
also, are you running an aftermarket fuel pump? If so, they produce too much fuel pressure for most of our cars, and can overpower the float needle.

Crisis
04-11-2006, 08:48 PM
They're ZS carbs. Would the 'too high'float level lead to that? I'll give it a try. Thanks for the advice.

TR4nut
04-12-2006, 06:52 AM
I agree on the float comment - I just sorted out some pretty leaky 175CD ZS carbs on my TR4 and float adjustment was key. If you have gas weeping from the bottom bowl gasket its a pretty good sign your float is not adjusted properly as the gas level should not reach the gasket.