PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 Hard steering

hondo402000
04-10-2006, 10:41 AM
I rebuilt the front end last fall with urethane busings all new components, rebuild steering rack and I was wondering how hard should the steering be? when I put the car up on jacks in the front with both wheels off the ground the steering is still Hard. is this usual or did I do something wrong?

DougF
04-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Something's wrong. What did you do when rebuilding the steering rack?
Urethane bushings would have nothing to do with your problem.
Do the wheels turn as far as they should or are they restricted?

hondo402000
04-10-2006, 07:36 PM
I purchased a rebuilt rack from TRF. It will turn lock to lock but it takes some effort. when I put the front end back together I had to push the verticle joint forward to get the ball joint into the tapered hole. I am wondering now if that is causing resistance but I see no way to adjust the fulcrum bracket. the front end has been aligned so I know thats ok.. just confused as to why it steers hard

04-10-2006, 07:41 PM
You are jacking on the frame not the spring pan right?

04-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Good point. Also, isn't the steering mechanism harder to work when the car is in the air, what with the rack stressed down and all?

Bill

04-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Actually now I think about this - are you trying to turn the wheel, or the steering wheel?

If you rebuilt it and think that it ought to be easy to move by hand from rocking the brake rotor, think again. I know this because we just did the whole front end of a friends -6. The compression of the spring makes it a great deal stiffer than you'd think. It is much easier to tell if you just jack one side up and have the other on the ground. Turning the steering wheel is then a one finger job, and if it isnt you have a problem for sure. You can get the same effect by compressing the springs a little, but this is easier to visualise.

hondo402000
04-11-2006, 06:57 AM
when I say the steering is hard its at the steering wheel, I definately cannot turn the wheels by pulling on the front of the wheel, I hear no poping sounds when turning the steering wheel left or right and its definately not a one finger job. even when I am driving and turn a corner the steering does not come back to center without me turning the steering wheel back to center. I had old cars before not a TR6 and the steering wheel was a lot easier to turn. the bottom arms which attach to the frame which set of holes do they attach to the frame in. I noticed there were 2 sets and I know I bolted them back into the same holes but that doesnt mean it is right and the manual doesnt say to attach the lower arms in the front or rear holes......

DougF
04-11-2006, 07:22 AM
Did you have difficulty pulling the ball joint away from the vertical link at disassembly? Did you try the steering rack before installing and did it move freely?
How far did you have to push the vertical link forward to make connection to the ball joint.
Compare both sides of the suspension to make sure they are put together identically.

hondo402000
04-11-2006, 01:52 PM
I put the parts back together as took apart but as I have read on other post, it might have been put together wrong by DPO( learned that abbrev) so when I disassembled it was wrong and I reinstalled it wrong. Looks like some research is due. It did however come apart easy but the rubber bushigs were squashed on the upper arms and I went back with urethane