PDA

View Full Version : Jaybird will Kill Me... But...

Howard_The_Duck
04-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Yes I bought a TR7 convertible.

Complete car, as in most of the parts are there, and needs to be put back together. $150. I couldn't pass that deal up.

and the amazing part is that there doesnt SEEM to be any rust. the car sat in a garage for a long time. Now, I need to know what I should be looking for on this car in the good and bad departments.

Thanks!

michalotti_tr
04-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Let me be the first to welcome you to 'The Dark Side', as Jaybird likes to call it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I personally do not know TR7s, but I know you'll find plenty of help here

trfourtune
04-05-2006, 02:32 PM
i heard the brakes reeeaallly suck. plan upgrades.
rob

sammyb
04-05-2006, 03:04 PM
The biggest thing for a car that has been sitting is the electrics. Obviously, that applies to all cars, but the TR7 had printed circuit boards, which can be a pain. Get good grounds and make sure all connections in the engine bay are clean.

Switches also have a tendency to corrode, so cleaning contacts can be beneficial.

It is true that the brakes aren't great, but they're not that bad. Basically, they are not assisted, so they require a heck of a lot of pedal pressure.

Engine-wise, the two-litre four is prone to headgasket failure, so make sure head bolts are torqued to spec. Also, the stromberg carb mounts (the rubber part) tend to crack and separate. If putting a little pressure on the carbs allows air to get through a crack, buy a set of aluminum carb spacers. They're $100 and will never fail, but the new rubber ones can fail within weeks.

The only other place that I know of problems is that carb-spec TR7s don't have exhaust manifold gaskets, so you can get a little exhaust leak. If you're getting popping, it's possible that the problem is not an exhaust leak, but either a bad stop-valve in the air injection pump (take it off!!! It's 10 pounds of hp stealing junk!) or the carburetor acceleration bypass valves floating.

Don't let anyone poo-poo the 7 -- it's a very fun car to toss around.

MadRiver
04-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Printed circuit boards? Please tell me these weren't made by Lucas! *gasp* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mickey Richaud
04-05-2006, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Even so, $150 leaves lots of money for the upgrade.

You're gonna love havin' THIS wedgie! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Mickey

DNK
04-05-2006, 04:44 PM
I'll give you 250
don

kodanja
04-05-2006, 04:48 PM
300 !

04-05-2006, 05:17 PM
The beauty of the TR7 is that it's design was before it's time. They have finally come of age and look totally modern against any of today's personal cars. And what you really have is not so much a personal car but a "real" sports car that loves to be tossed around. They really do handle well and are often underappreciated. That said, I would never own one.

Bill

KLUTZ
04-05-2006, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you hear that?

Don't listen to him Zack /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

KLUTZ
04-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Congratulations Zack. You will love it. Hows about some more information.. Year? coloUr,

Pictures??

I have spare parts lying around. If ya need anything let me know.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Paul

Howard_The_Duck
04-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Its a red convertible with what used to be a black top/interior.

It has a black stripe job along the bottom of it, and it does have this really cool hood with vents notched in it.

I will get pictures when I can walk again

Basil
04-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Ya know I just had to read a post that started "Jaybird will kill me, but..." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

AngliaGT
04-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Let all of Triumph owners be sure to send her a Christmas card with a picture of our cars on it!

- Doug

ObiRichKanobi
04-05-2006, 10:49 PM
Welcome to the brotherhood of the wedgehead. They really are fun to drive, and pretty simple to maintain.

04-06-2006, 07:32 AM
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but while we're on the subject of acquiring TR7's, I'm currently looking at this car on Ebay. I've been semi-seriously looking for a TR7 coupe for awhile now and this looks promising. Looks fairly rust free, interior looks great, only things that are bugging me are the fact that it's in Cali (and I'd have to pay a good deal to have it shipped) and the fact that the current owner has never heard the car run, which scares me. I emailed him and he says he got the car in exactly the condition it's in and has never attempted to start it. He said he would probably be able to run a compression check for me if I wanted, but I haven't pursued that yet. Time is running on this, impressions?

TR7 (https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph-TR-7-California-Original-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ4627625624QQcategoryZ6469QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem)

04-06-2006, 08:05 AM
Also looking at this one.

Another TR7 (https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1977-Triumph-TR-7-W-Only-35-000-miles-Automatic_W0QQitemZ4628617798QQcategoryZ6469QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem)

This one doesn't look to be in quite as good condition as the first, little surface rust around the nose area. However it has several things going for it the other doesn't. One, it runs according to the owner. Two, it's about a 2.5 hour drive from me, so I could most likely get it home on my friends trailer without having to pay shipping. Three, it's an automatic, which although that doesn't appeal to me it means my wife would more readily support the purchase since she'd be able to drive it. I was acutally thinking of getting something she could enjoy also, so this would fit the bill better. Anyone have experience with Triumphs auto gearboxes, reliability, problems, etc.?

KLUTZ
04-06-2006, 08:08 PM
Both probably 4 speeds Scott. You would want one with a 5 speed, like my 1978 Coupe. Mine is in much better condition then those two, and rare as well with only 1200 being made in '78 because the factory was on strike for half the year. Thinking of selling mine too, but not for those bids.

Paul

Howard_The_Duck
04-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Here it is.... it doesn't look like much, I will admit.

KLUTZ
04-06-2006, 10:51 PM
I think the jerry can and the propane tanks will come in handy Zack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Where on earth did you find that?

Howard_The_Duck
04-06-2006, 10:57 PM
The guy a block away from Mom's house had it in his shop for years, then about a month ago he needed the space and put it outside.

The front quarter is dinged up as is one spot on a back quarter, but hardly any rust to speak of.

TR_JOE250
04-06-2006, 11:51 PM
Don't let anyone bring you down Zack. Alot of us are like kids that are just as thrilled to bring home the scrappiest looking mut the pound had. I have never had a 7, but for $150 I would have jumped as well. I'm sure she'll clean up nicely. Have fun, and keep us up to date.

Randi
04-07-2006, 12:24 AM
Hmmmmmm-how many is this my son?

Randi
04-07-2006, 12:25 AM
WE are NOT telling DAD!!!

KLUTZ
04-07-2006, 09:53 AM
You don't have an important Birthday or something comming up do you Randi?
I think I know what you might be getting for a present. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul

Randi
04-07-2006, 10:36 AM
XANAX?????????????Just a guess Iseem to be ranting a bit these days!! Bithday is stalking me once again-I had forgotten!! Is 57 important? ah being on this side of the dirt is always a good sign(I think) If I'd been already planted (in Maggie) we'd probably been FLOATING around like the rest of my husbands passed on relatives,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ARGH CAN'T COUNT ON NOTHIN NO MORE!!!!!!!!!1Randi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

KLUTZ
04-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Meds. Randi Meds.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Randi
04-07-2006, 11:03 AM
My family made me go..........my idiot Dr, told me it takes 3-6 weeks to take EFFECT. Does that mean I'm remaining homicidal - but it isn't my fault???????Where's the lawyer??Possibilities are endless. Randi

trrobbie
04-08-2006, 03:45 PM
The early tr-7 dose have some weak spots.(gearbox,brakes,elect. and cooling systems) But over all a good car. I love mine.(`76 tr-7 fhc that I call the limerick due to its green paint) Once all the issues are worked out they are a LOT of fun! Hope this helps Robbie in Wyoming USA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif
brakes: not the best(even though they are power assed)
gearbox:4 speed at about its limit in terms of power hadeling ablity
cooling system:is fair but can be upgraded(early problem area due to a plastic rather then metal fill plug)
Elect. system:lucas made(need I say more?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Dale
04-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Sorry I'm getting in here so late, but just have to get in my tuppence worth. Congratulations! The TR-7 is a real Triumph in spite of what anybody says and IMHO is the best TR with the possible exception of the TR-8. Parts are probably more readily available now than when they were new and technical help abounds, here as well as several other places. Good Luck and have fun.

KLUTZ
04-09-2006, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry I'm getting in here so late, but just have to get in my tuppence worth. Congratulations! The TR-7 is a real Triumph in spite of what anybody says and IMHO is the best TR with the possible exception of the TR-8. Parts are probably more readily available now than when they were new and technical help abounds, here as well as several other places. Good Luck and have fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said Dale. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Paul

Howard_The_Duck
04-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Well, my friend moved my newly accquired TR7 to my Garage-Mahal for me today as I am not really able to do much of anything right now.

Three questions offhand -

What was the significance of the louvered hood? Is it original, or did it signify a particular type of TR7?

How can I identify if I have a 4 or a 5 speed Transmission, as I cant find the gearshift, and the engine and tranny are sitting next to the car

Is a used tonneau cover worth anything? One was in the trunk, but all of the trim with the snaps along the outside of the interior seems to be missing

If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

KLUTZ
04-10-2006, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

What was the significance of the louvered hood? Is it original, or did it signify a particular type of TR7?

How can I identify if I have a 4 or a 5 speed Transmission, as I cant find the gearshift, and the engine and tranny are sitting next to the car

[/ QUOTE ]

Zack:

All TR7's had the louvers on the hood. It was not only the style, but it helps pull air into the plenham attatched to the firewall. This draws fresh air into the vents of the car instead of engine hot air. A lot of TR7's don't have these anymore, but they are essential if driving in the heat. If you car is older then a 1977, it will have a 5 speed transmission. Find a knob and go through the gears where it sits. Reverse, if I remember right, is across left and up. OH, I see you can't even find the shifter itself. HUMMM. When you do find one, you will also need new bushings.

PM me some pictures when you are more mobile please.

Paul

swift6
04-10-2006, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you car is older then a 1977, it will have a 5 speed transmission.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Paul meant newer than 1977 here as the early car had the four speeds and the later cars had the five speeds.

Also, the only difference on the bonnets (hoods) are the later bonnets (becasue of the TR8) had a "double bubble" with an extra clearance bump in the center of the bonnet. Early TR7 bonnets did not have this.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif