PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A TR4 Starter

MikeH
04-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Hi All, Another problem, my son took the TR4 for a ride today, before leaving for a trip to the big city; Colorado Springs. Anyway I went out a little bit later and no starter. Solenoid is ok and I ran one side of jumper cables from the positive battery post ( negative ground car ) to the starter connection post. Nothing, not even an attempt to rotate. Any clues? Brushes? Luckily I have an old one that quit on me three days before VTR in Breckenridge, which I had repaired at a local shop in case the one from Moss didn't arrive in time. Thanks for any suggestions. I'm trying to think why it would go completely dead with no warning. Thanks, Mike

63 TR4 Surrey Top

Geo Hahn
04-03-2006, 11:33 AM
My TR3A starter failed w/o warning leaving me with hand-crank starting for every start on a 7 day road trip. Different nose on the starter but same internals.

What I found when I got home was that the insulation on one of the field windings had worn thru in one spot and was shorting out. I removed the fields and rewound that (and a couple of other spots where there was wear) with friction tape and all was well.