PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Frame-off Veterans

jsneddon
04-02-2006, 12:37 AM
Holy crap.... I tip my hat to those of you who have survived a complete restoration on these cars. I know it is a lot of work and I'll be doing it myself in the next 4 or 5 years probably but jeeeezzzzz....

I had to take the grille off my 3 and it was 30 minutes to get everything off, 30 minutes to do what I was doing, and now I'm 2 hours into just putting the dang overriders back on....

I can hardly wait for all the other fun looming in my future....

Who's brilliant idea was it to use fine-thread hardware in blind holes with 2 inches worth of tool clearance????

grrrrrrrrrr.

At least now it doesn't sound like someone is smuggling marracas in the front of my car at idle. (every letter in T-R-I-U-M-P-H was dancing around like those old electric hockey games)

Mickey Richaud
04-02-2006, 06:11 AM
And the TR3 is about as easy a resto-job as they come! Keep at it, though, as the rewards are more than worth it.

Not to one-up here, but I'm in the middle of tearing down the TR8. Still scratching my head to figure out how I'm gonna get the radiator and A/C coil out!

Once you get the body off the frame, it'll be incredibly smooth sailing.

(Loved the dancing maracas description. Mine came from the dzus fasteners when the bonnet was up.)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif Mickey

Banjo
04-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Keep at it man, The end result makes it all worth while.
I've done 3 TR3s and 1 TR4, frame off ( I worked at a sports car shop for a while). And several more that were just shy of total frame off. I think it was more work to do a thourough repaint on the 60 T-Bird we did. That thing was huge.
3s are very simple compared to most other cars, but remember the last 10% of the resto takes 90% of the time
Just take your time... Deadlines make things stressfull and no fun.

Don Elliott
04-02-2006, 07:43 PM
We're just about finished a TR3A total body-off restoration the took over 7 years. See attachment above. It's BRG. For my own black TR3A, I took 3 years - from 1987 to 1990.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A, TS 27489 LO

https://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthreads/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/1919/ppuser/4127