PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 EGR/Emissions Question

TomK
04-01-2006, 11:47 AM
My question concerns the stainless steel pipe that connects the base of the EGR valve to the intake manifold. On my car this pipe has a brass plug on the end that connects to the EGR valve. Is the plug normally supposed to be there? If so, what purpose does the pipe serve? Is this a previous owner mod perhaps? Any info appreciated.

bash
04-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Hi Tom

Are you sure it is a plug? There is supposed to be a brass compression fitting at each end. When I took my old one off to replace it (rusted through) the pipe was totally plugged with carbon, and it ran okay with the blockage, so I am not really sure what the purpose of the pipe is!

Probably not much help...sorry!
Alistair

Yellowdog
04-02-2006, 04:00 AM
Purpose of the pipe: to allow recirculation of the exhaust gases during acceleration or load. EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

A plugged pipe will not harm performance while a hole in one certainly will. I doubt that it is plugged unless someone was trying to fool an EPA visual inspection. Most folks would just remove the valve and plug the head if they were trying to defeat the EGR system.