PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3A brass body plate

PeterK
03-30-2006, 09:34 PM
I have a spare late TR3A embossed brass body plate EB7xxxxx. My 3A is an early model and I would like to trade if anyone my late one for an early one that would be closer to TS29694L. Anybody got a spare they'd be willing to trade?

Geo Hahn
03-30-2006, 09:46 PM
Well that must be one of the more unusual trades ever offered. I have sometimes thought a crafty fellow might be able to make a reasonable reproduction of one of those plates by hammering some thin brass sheet stock.

I need the other one (not the EB one). I know you often see them all polished up on show cars... but am I correct in thinking that these were originally painted? If so, then other materials than brass might also work for a repro.

Andrew Mace
03-30-2006, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know you often see them all polished up on show cars... but am I correct in thinking that these were originally painted? If so, then other materials than brass might also work for a repro.

[/ QUOTE ]Actually, I think one usually saw one painted (essentially the "body in white" number) and one brass (for the fully painted and trimmed body)...except for the TR3Bs, which seem to have had only one body number plate.

PeterK
03-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Here is mine; it came with my 4A in a parts box and now we have a 3A too. It's a fairly heavy gauge metal brass, guessing 18ga.
https://homes.midmaine.com/~kentech/tr3a/tr3_body_plate.jpg

Am I right in assuming that the EB plate should be fairly close to the vehicle number?

Also, I found a place that makes embossed engine ID plates for british cars, mainly MGs I think.

https://www.clarkespares.com/carparts.html

martx-5
03-31-2006, 07:50 AM
I have an old body out back that was TS23xxx. I'll go check to see if it still has the body plate attached. The body I'm putting on the car now is TS75xxx, and it doesn't have a body plate, although I have the Commission number plate.

I'll post back later today after I get home from work.