PDA

View Full Version : Halfshaft Latest

03-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Ok I apologise in advance. I don't have great pictures, I was fixated on taking pics of my tank installation.

I'm missing one of the 3 parts in the image I've attached - the adapter that bolts to the diff - you'll see why when you read the blurb.

Fitting - the next set will be a straight bolt in.

1. Hubs - they were a fraction (less than 1/32") too big at the back to push in easily. We ended up taking off the powdercoating with a sander and used a file to smooth off the inside of the swingarm (literally two minutes work). It all fitted nicely then. I'm sure he'll fix it for the next set - I already sent him feedback.

2. CV joint. You'll need to drop the spring and jack up the swingarm to get enough room to get it in - it's a tight squeeze due to the length of it. It's very snug too in the cylinder through the swingarm - we might end up having to run a cylinder hone through the swingarm, just because it's quicker than sending them back to be turned down - assuming it is even required. Its hard to tell because we couldn't snug it down properly as I screwed up for 3 below.

3. Adapter - Here I messed up. I sent the Goodparts diff straight off to the garage, and I didn't realise that the adapter plate had studs mounted, and not holes like the stock one. There isn't room on the back to put nuts and bolt it up, so I'm having the new adapter welded to the old adapter, again rather than send it back and wait a week or so.

If you have an R200 diff then you'll need a different plate making up. Stock will bolt right up with no problem.

How well does it work?

It all fits together nicely. It is HEAVY and looks well made. It's hard to tell if its a 100% success as is though. We couldn't snug it down enough to check full rotation and travel.

As soon as my plates come back from being TIG'd to the R200 adapters we'll have another go, so I'll know by the w/e.

I didn't get a pic of the third part because they were off with the adapters from Mr Good being TIG'd. Again, this is my mistake, and I'm not desperately happy about it...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

ALLAN
03-31-2006, 03:43 PM
Any updates, pictures? Its hard to be patient on this, cant wait for the results.

03-31-2006, 06:49 PM
Work has been **** this week. I'm going up to the shop tomorrow. I hope it will be welded and we can fit it then. I spoke to the guy who made them the other day. He's as anxious as you are to see if they fit. He's alrady taking about improvements he can make...

LastDeadLast
03-31-2006, 08:04 PM
Can't wait to see how it fits Alan, try to take some pics if you remember.

04-01-2006, 01:56 PM
I'll add the blurb after I get the pictures up.

This is the adapter plate for my R200 Goodparts diff with the adapter for the CV axle. You can see how it would be fine for stock.

04-01-2006, 01:59 PM
This is the CV joint halfshaft setup. Its been on and off a couple of times - it was a lot cleaner when it came.

04-01-2006, 02:01 PM
This is the rear of the hub assembly. Bearings and carrier are from an SHO Taurus so will be cheap to change and aroun for a long time.

04-01-2006, 02:01 PM
This is the front

04-01-2006, 02:03 PM
You get an idea of how it looks in the car. This is still test fitting - note no spring...

04-01-2006, 02:04 PM
And how it looks with the drum on

04-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Ok so they didnt TIG the two adapter plates together so I couldn't get it mounted properly. We got it in to test the binding I mentioned. It's pretty minor, and it looks like the thrust washers he added to spread the load are the culprit. We'll just grind them back and it will be fine. Interestingly enough it only bound at max extension (shock bottomed out) so tightening it up fully might have been enough. Either way its no biggie and I'll bet he fixes it for the next set...

So if you have a stock diff it looks like it will work just fine.

If you have an LSD you'll either have to find someone with a TIG to weld the plates together, or get him to make a different adapter plate. He seemed receptive to the idea when I discussed it, but you are going to have to send your plate off for a few weeks so he has a template. I've waited long enough.

I have to get the two plates TIG'd properly so the thing can be finally assembled. I dropped them back off and it should be done by next week. It looks like its going to work really quite well though, and I'm pretty happy with it.

I must say those hubs are really nice...

I have nfi in this thing - I found the guy on an internet search, but I have to say he has done a great job and was a very pleasant person to deal with.

I went out on a limb and said that I figured other people might want these, and I hope he does ok from them. The only thing I'd ask is that if anyone puts together a group buy and gets a discount that they let me know - I reckon after all this I deserve to get the same price...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

ALLAN
04-01-2006, 02:35 PM
Sounds good, did you mean the R200 diff. and not a LSD diff.? Have you told him of all changes that need to be made? Please, more pictures when you get a chance. If we get a discount I would be glad to chip in to refund you a discount amount--if the axle guy doesnt refund you. Thanks for the work on this.

04-01-2006, 02:45 PM
The R200 IS the LSD diff in everything I said above. It's the one that Richard Good sells as part of his upgrade. Its pretty much the only game in town unless you are going to buy a Quaife or Salisbury unit and have it built into your stock housing - at which point this is moot as you essentially have a stock diff for these purposes.

As I said I spoke to the guy this week, and I emailed him with an update this afternoon. He wants this to work as much as I do, and has said he will fix any and all issues. I could have sent mine back and said 'fix it' but the problems were so trivial that it just was not worth the cost of postage and the time. The diff adapters were my fault - I just sent it up to the shop without looking at it. I thought they were drilled just like the stock ones.

He says he's had a bunch of calls, but I don't know how that will translate into sales. I hope he does ok out of it though.

What other pictures do you want?

It's pretty straightforward. There are only 3 pieces. The hardest part is getting that shaft in. To do that you have to jack the swingarm all the way up, and dropping the spring is the easiest way to do that. Other than that is is a LOT easier than getting the old ones out.

04-01-2006, 02:49 PM
I already received a response from him. I'll post it in full here. That's what I call service. The "RS" flange he's talking about is the Goodparts conversion piece.

OK enough cheerleading. DYOR, YMMV and all that.
Alan

[ QUOTE ]

Alan,

The torque straps were ground a bit before I sent them. Again error on the side of caution and didnít take too much. I wanted to make a replacement piece but ran short of time. When I make the next batch I will send you some. I will try to get the rest of the data on the RS flange for future use as well since your one contact has the same set up.

Best wishes,

Kevin

[/ QUOTE ]

ALLAN
04-01-2006, 03:04 PM
One picture up close and one installed, thanks

04-01-2006, 06:35 PM
what exactly up close?

i have much higher res copies of these if you want - they are severely degraded by the 200k limit.