PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A How do I remove TR3 door capping

PeterK
03-27-2006, 11:41 PM
I want to recover all the capping pieces around the TR3 cockpit. My question is how do I remove it? Do I just pull up hard enough? I want to remove all pieces including the dash, door caps, doglegs, and rear surround.

Thanks for any help before I begin. Peter

jayhawk
03-27-2006, 11:55 PM
I just tapped and wiggled using a vinyl covered piece of wood and a hammer. I pre lubed the capping by spraying some vinyl dressing along the door on the inside.

sammyb
03-28-2006, 12:18 AM
Tapping usually takes them off. Remember, they are metal with leather around them, so you might need a small flathead pry to loosen them. Also, make sure that a previous owner didn't hide a screw somewhere to secure them.

Adrio
03-28-2006, 10:49 AM
It has been 25 years since I took mine off but if I recall you have to remove the screws along the top of the inner door panel as well first. These screws go through the metal of the capping. I think all the other posts assumed you had removed the inner door panel. Once the inner door panel is off it all becomes obvious.

Banjo
03-28-2006, 09:23 PM
Adrio is right. Remove the inner door panals, and the door capping is screwed to the door in the inside.They do fit tightly to the top of the door, so some tapping may be required to get them off even after the screws are out.
After they're off the door, the little chrome caps on the ends get pryed out and then the covering can be removed.
The capping over the dash is held in by the "lift-a-dot" studs for the tonneau, and I believe by the grab handle over the glove box.
The rear surround is all screwed in. You need to remove the top frame, to remove the quarter interior panals to get to the screws for the "dog leg" pieces,and the top side pieces, and I believe the screws for the center back piece can all be seen without removing anything

mrv8q
03-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Replying to Banjo's post, there are four(?) small screws and cup washers scattered under the dashboard capping as well... I was just in there last week, and I was surprised how easy the dashboard and door cappings came off...

Best, Kevin Browne
'59 TR3A #58370

PeterK
03-31-2006, 08:36 PM
Thanks everyone. I found a couple of very small screws hidden by the door panel not visible until I removed the panel. Now on to recovering them! Peter