PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Upgrade Progress

CaptRoy
03-22-2006, 07:10 PM
Just a quick post with what I have found out...

The TR3A rack and pinion kit is on order and it is now 1100.00 plus shipping. He takes about 2-3 weeks to ship.

I ordered the Toyota transmission kit yesterday and chated a long time with Herman. What a nice guy and a wealth of information. He does not accept credit cards so I had to get a cashiers check today to send him. I picked up a checked out 84 supra 5 speed from a guy in Calif that cleans and checks out each one on a load machine before he ships. I'll let you know on that one.

I'm still working the raditor issue. Davis does have a sample for a TR3B and I think that will be fine. Wizard needs me to ship them mine and they will give me a good discount so they can get a pattern. The only problem is that I'm taking the car 200 miles to have the engine rebuilt and everything installed and I really wanted to have everything when I delivered the car. I'm going to talk to Davis tomorrow. Does anyone have an old, trashed raditor for a TR3A that I could ship to wizard...

Well I'm looking forward to getting everything as soon as possible and I'll keep you updated..

03-22-2006, 08:29 PM
Are you driving the car there?

If not, have the rad shipped to the builder direct if the discount is that good, or alternatively have the builder ship it when he takes it off. Let's face it, it's going to take them more than a week to rebuild the engine. If the discount isn't that great then don't bother.
My 2c - ymmv.

Oh and Hermann was great when I spoke to him too. If the box doesn't work out, you could try the place Hermann recommends in his emails.

Just be sure to ONLY speak to the guy he names though. You won't have a good experience if you dont...

CaptRoy
03-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Thanks Alana,

I'm going to tailer the car as I think I have a wrist pin that's ready to come out... I agree he could ship or if I can get Davis at a decent price 'll go there... The next week will tell...

03-22-2006, 09:10 PM
Hey Roy,
If you do chose Ron Davis, remember to tell them exactly what you want, such as, a drain **** (if you want one) and a tapped hole in the bottom tank if you plan on using an electric fan (the tapped hole for the Spal sensor - which would work on any fan, by the way. This sensor is stainless steel. All the other sensors are brass and this will react with aluminum in a negative way). Davis will take a lot longer than you want, unfortunately. They are quite busy, I think mine took about 4 weeks. The radiator I got from them was a perfect drop-in. Now that said, the other radiator company sounds as though they might give you a helluva deal (plus I am sure that their quality is as good as Davis), that would certainly influence me. It's your call. I do know that an aluminum radiator has pretty much solved my cooling problem. I had my stock radiator rebuilt with an extra core and still had overheating issues. The Spal puller fan and the new al. radiator has worked for me.
Good luck in your choice....

Bill

03-22-2006, 09:16 PM
Actually Bill, your radiator looks like they made more effort to keep it stock looking - check the differences between the top of yours and the top of mine in the attachment prior and compare to a stock rad. Mine is nicely welded, but it's not "pretty". Yours is.

Money and time no object, and desire to keep as close to stock as possible, I'd say go for the one you got. The time was the big problem for me - they wanted 6 - count em - 6 weeks to do what I wanted. The other place were cheaper and I got it in a week even with the mods - which they did a real nice job of.

CaptRoy
03-22-2006, 11:05 PM
Thanks guys and you are right. I want the electric fan (puller) installed with a sensor, and a drain in the bottom. I think I wnat the sensor with the fan on around 190 and off around 170-175. I really would like a drop in as close to possible. The Spal fan and sensor sounds like the way to go...Davis also said the could incorporate an oil cooler in the design... Worth looking at...