PDA

View Full Version : misaligned suspension

Greg_Blake
03-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Of course when I got the frame back from blasting, the repair work that I had noted was all the more obvious. I don't have a TR4 shop manual to reference the frame dimensions; I only have the TR3 manuals.

Does any one have a link or a PDF of the TR4 frame dimensions from the manual?

Also, anybody have any luck straightening the front lower cross pin where the lower inside wishbones attach? I know that TR3 lower cross pins run parallel to the central axis of the frame, I assume they should on the TR4 as well. The drivers side pin is angled towards the center of the frame, or in, from front to rear by about 3/4". This might not be a problem, but I hate not to address it while I have the chance. Any advice on how to realign the pin?

In any case I will address the tab that has "pulled" away from the frame.

Thanks,

Greg

TR_Jim
03-19-2006, 12:13 AM
You can find frame dimensions here...
https://www.geocities.com/britishiron2000/frame_tr4

TRTEL
03-19-2006, 12:16 AM
Hi Greg,
I'm sure someone will come up with the frame measurements you require. All I know concerns 3's mostly, however the construction is the same in that area and I would certainly be concerned about any misalignment. Primarily if the rear pin is the 3/4" out you believe it to be, then I would have to think that the front one is out of whack somewhat also. It would have required a fair hit to push it back, while pulling the other pin to the outside. This sort of work is fairly major and probably should be done at a competent (well recommended)shop. I have unfortunately seem some pretty sad results from frame straightening through the years. Was this frame from your car or a donor car? If from yours was that wheel obviously crooked on disassembly? Are you measuring from a string stretched down the middle of the chassis? I would imagine Alan Meyer would have those dimensions somewhere. The photo certainly didn't look too bad. One of the most important aspects of that type of repair is keeping the metal from becoming too detempered. Keep us updated and good luck.
Tom Lains

Greg_Blake
03-19-2006, 12:21 AM
Thanks. That is a big help. Nice car

Greg_Blake
03-19-2006, 12:33 AM
I bought it from a guy in town that is unloading all his TR stuff as I know the frame under my 3 is in sad shape. I bought the 4 frame and front suspension only. It was sitting in his storage yard that way for some time so I have never seen it as a complete car or as a roller. The frame looks pretty good except the alignment issue and two areas of rust that I can easily repair.

I just went out and measured again. Comared to the diagram on the link provided, the front is out 0.25", the rear is in 0.5", hence the 0.75" total I was mesuring at the rear earlier today.

Thanks again for the link,

Greg

Alan_Myers
03-19-2006, 06:29 AM
Hi Greg,

Those horizontal pins need to be parallel, or the front suspension will be way off. If bent, it would probably be easiest and it's possible to buy replacement parts, but they need to be welded into place very well and accurately.

I'm curious, how are you handling the extra width of TR4 front track to put that frame under your TR3 body? Going with the wider TR4 rear axle, too? Widened fenders? Are you changing out the front and rear body mounts on the frame?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif