PDA

View Full Version : power locks

gsalt57tr3
03-17-2006, 10:27 PM
Now that my TR3 is in pieces, some modifications are being considered, such as power locks for the boot and cubby, incorparating a feul shut off with it.

I read about someone doing it somewhere, was it here?

DNK
03-18-2006, 12:18 AM
Check out https://www.watsons-streetworks.com/holeshot_door_solenoids.html
dan Masters turn me on to them.
don

Andrew Mace
03-18-2006, 10:20 AM
No offense intended, but of what real value would the power locks be on either cubby or boot? They won't stop a prybar any better than the original locks would.

A well-hidden fuel shutoff does make some sense as an anti-theft device, since one needs only a quickly reshaped paper clip or similar to steal the average TR3.

Geo Hahn
03-18-2006, 08:56 PM
Indeed, one can start & drive off even if they don't have the paper clip. I'll skip the details other than to say one can pull a fuse and reinsert it in a different fashion and Walla! it starts.

I like a hidden switch that interrupts the ignition by grounding the points. With that switched on even a hot wire directly from the battery to the coil will be ineffective.

I never lock the cubby box -- the contents are always worth much less than the door & upholstery.

ObiRichKanobi
03-18-2006, 09:08 PM
Is it going to be a genuine Lucas system? If so, don't forget to add extra Lucas smoke to the wiring, or you might run low. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

03-18-2006, 09:36 PM
I carry lots of insurance.

Bill

gsalt57tr3
03-19-2006, 12:42 PM
The feul shut off is my primary objective. your probably right about the cubby, but at least the boot would be a bit of a deterence. a simple screwdriver will get past the coach locks