PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry Steamer.....Oh Boy, I'm in trouble again.

03-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Happened to be at a jewelry store today (feeling guilty about not buying my wife something lately) and watched as the jeweler cranked up his gigantic steam cleaner to clean a cruddy old broach. Man, in short order that thing looked like new! Now I'm wondering, wouldn't one of those babies look good in my shop, wisking away grime all over my engine compartment. Been searching eBay trying to find a good used one. Anyone know of a jeweler going out of business. Those things are neat.

Bill

GB1
03-17-2006, 07:21 PM
hehehe or two

Don Elliott
03-17-2006, 09:30 PM
Sounds like an ultrasonic cleaning tank to me. They use them to clean all the crud out of eye glases at your local optician and also in electronic assembly and/or repair shops.

myspitfire
03-17-2006, 11:59 PM
Get a 'PAASHE AIR ABRASIVE TOOL' Its a hand held tool,that cleans small parts with starch believe it or not this company has been in business for years.the other attachment is the common air-brushing tool. Google it.

Randi
03-18-2006, 12:50 AM
boy your wife is gonnabe excited..........Randi

Alan_Myers
03-18-2006, 05:03 AM
Hi Bill,

I suspect Don is right. Bet it's an ultrasonic cleaner. I found 989 on eBay, mostly small units for jewelry that appear to start around $20.

There are larger ones, and some are heated as well, such as the one Jay Leno has one in his restoration shop. It's about the size of a large parts cleaning sink. Saw him showing it off on a "Rides" episode on cable TV. He says it does a great job. Hey, there's is a 39 gallon ultrasonic cleaner on eBay... $8900 and shipping is free!

Leno would appreciate your steam reference, though. Among his favorites in his collection are several steam powered cars.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

03-18-2006, 07:58 AM
I have a Paasche Air Eraser (see earlier post).

No guys, this is a real live steam machine. (I use an ultrasonic cleaner in my dental office to clean instruments before they hit the sterilizer, so I am very familiar with those.) Anyway, these steamers range from toys ($150) to big daddies ($$$$$). Had a push-buttom nozzle on a wand that allowed him to reach away from the machine.
Gotta be one out there at a firesale. ( use to use a giant gasoline-fired steam cleaner in the Army to clean the frame of my TR2 before restoration but those things are dangerous.)
Anyway, s-t-e-a-m cleaner, not ultrasonic.

Bill

Bugeye58
03-18-2006, 08:13 AM
Bill, you may want to look at this.

https://cgi.ebay.com/443-HOFFMAN-JEWELRY-...1QQcmdZViewItem (https://cgi.ebay.com/443-HOFFMAN-JEWELRY-STEAM-CLEANER-MODEL-JEL-3_W0QQitemZ8914063299QQcategoryZ67720QQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem)

Jeff

JamesWilson
03-18-2006, 07:42 PM
er... won't this be a signal to the wife encouraging her acquiring wholesale quantities of jewelry? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

VitSport6
03-20-2006, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bill, you may want to look at this.

https://cgi.ebay.com/443-HOFFMAN-JEWELRY-...1QQcmdZViewItem (https://cgi.ebay.com/443-HOFFMAN-JEWELRY-STEAM-CLEANER-MODEL-JEL-3_W0QQitemZ8914063299QQcategoryZ67720QQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem)

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

We use this Hoffman steamer at work, It does a great job, I just dont see how well it would work for cleaning a vehicle, Its just not very portable, Besides I have a Enviro steamer for that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Good luck

trfourtune
03-20-2006, 03:14 PM
ultrasonics baby!
i've kept my eye out for one of those babies for a couple of years now. one that is big enough for a crankshaft, so carbs and a head would also fit (one at a time). they are THE ticket!!! but like all things good they are a little expensive. watch e-bay.sometimes the right size comes up but typically about $3000. i need the money for speed parts instead. some good machine shops have them so you could just pay a little to get stuff cleaned.
rob

martx-5
03-20-2006, 06:02 PM
We have a faily large ultrasonic cleaner a work. Besides the ultrasonic, the liquid temperature is about 160 deg. F, and there is also a soap type solution in the water. We use it to clean regulators and rectifiers. It does a really good job on these kind of parts. It's not very effective on parts with heavy grease and oil. We tried some starter parts in it...field housings, aluminium drive ends etc, and it didn't work very well at all. The main attribute of ultrasonics is that it gets into all the nooks and crannies. Intricate parts that have general soil on them is where the ultrasonics work well. Any kind of grease, and it doesn't work.

trfourtune
03-21-2006, 12:07 PM
there are many types of ultrasonic specific cleaner solutions for different uses. i think it is alway best to remove the major mess with a pressure washer etc before the ultrasonic cleaning.
rob