PDA

View Full Version : Under dash "kidney" panels

MadRiver
03-17-2006, 05:10 PM
I'm getting ready for spending some nice warm days on my TR-250. The POs had mounted an old speaker for the stereo underneath the dash, and I want to clean this up. I was looking at the under-dash "kidney" pads that Moss has in their catalog in the interior trim section. I also want to add two new speakers in place of the old tired single speaker that currently graces our 250. I therefore have two questions I would really appreciate some help on:

1. Has anyone added kidney panels to a TR-250? If so, I would love some advice on how and where to attach them.

2. If anyone has them, what diameter is the speaker hole, and can anyone recommend some good cheap speakers to use?

Thanks as always! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

TR_JOE250
03-17-2006, 05:49 PM
Good one Bill. I'm concidering doing this when I get to that point with my 250. To get the best finished look you are going to have to find yourself a dash support from a 69-72 TR-6. It will have the cuts to the side of the support to mount the panels to. The Roadster Factory offers all the things you will need to get a great finished look. They have the components available as a kit or as seperates. You can get the panels with or without holes. Without holes you could install whatever size speakers you like that will fit. TRF also has dash support assemblies. Hope this helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

PeterK
03-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Bill, here a picture of the rear of a set of kidney pads. The metal bracket that you see hangs on the legs of the dash support bracket (I think)
https://homes.midmaine.com/~kentech/tr3a/kidneypads.jpg

PeterK
03-17-2006, 05:59 PM
Joe's right in that I've see TR6 dash supports with an indentation for kidney pads too.

But it seems pretty easy to get a set to fit at the back edge of a TR4A or TR250 support without having to spring for a new support too. They would be very easy to make from hardboard and cover with foam and vinyl.

MadRiver
03-17-2006, 06:32 PM
Thanks guys! That's what I love about this site!

Another quick question -- does anyone have a good photo of kidney pads installed on a TR6? I would love to see some pictures of how they generally are supposed to fit.

Thanks again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

PeterK
03-17-2006, 11:03 PM
https://homes.midmaine.com/~kentech/tr3a/kidneypadsinstalled.jpg

DNK
03-18-2006, 12:15 AM
What needs to be done is someone to put out on the web a full size drawing of the piece with the bracket design. Then the DIY'ers can have at it.
don

MadRiver
03-18-2006, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What needs to be done is someone to put out on the web a full size drawing of the piece with the bracket design. Then the DIY'ers can have at it.
don

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be great. I appreciate the information that people have posted so far. I would also love it if someone woudl be willing to provide some closeup photos of how the panels attach to the dash support, as well as towards the firewall. Thanks everyone again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

DNK
03-18-2006, 11:39 AM
If I had a set I would do it . If someone wants to ship an old set to me I will see what I can do
don

TR_JOE250
03-18-2006, 01:36 PM
Bill,
The bracket on the back of the panel slips on to the dash support. This is why it's best to have one from a 6. They are held in place at the oposite end by screws to the transmision tunnel and further supported by a bar in the center. Check out pages 210,211&216 in the TR-250 TR-6 Glovebox Companion catalog on TRF's web site. If you are going to do this as permanent you can buy a recovering kit that will give you the proper moulding for a great fit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

TR_JOE250
03-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Page 216 of TRF's Glovebox Companion has a pretty good drawing of the setup and application. I'm sure a handy DYIer could fabricate this whole setup with fiberboard, foam rubber, vinyl and aluminum. You're still going to need the proper moulding on the support to get a good look. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif