PDA

View Full Version : Gasket Problems?

Bret
01-27-2003, 10:35 PM
Gaskets?

OK,

For those of you who are lucky enough not to have a MGB equipped with a catalytic converter (75 to 80) as my 78B is - feel free to ignore this question.

Anyway in preparation for my B’s upcoming smog test – I am doing some house cleaning. One of the things I discovered was that the Gasket between the Manifold and the top of the Catalytic Converter was leaking. Figuring no big deal I’ll just replace it. Ordered a replacement from Victoria British (P/N 1-780) and from my Moss (#297-550). The gasket from VB arrived first so I naturally started tearing down things to get at it. This was a much bigger thing that I originally figured but that’s another story for another time.

To the point – using the gasket from VB I reassembled and proceeded to work on other issues related to my smog test. After about a half day of tweaking my Stromberg with little luck (again another story) I started to hear what sounded like another exhaust leak. After a little more time the noise got more and more pronounced to the point that I was finally able to see what the problem was.

The VB Gasket had completely burnt away!

Has anybody ever seen this before? This weekend I will try to install a new gasket this time using one of the heartier looking ones that came from Moss.

Any feed back welcome.

graemlins/cheers.gif

Bret

PS Almost forgot to mention. My Cat was completely blown out & I have ordered a new one from Moss. While this might be a tell-tail sign of what happened to the old gasket - I don’t think the completely open converter could have affected the new gasket. Any more thoughts?

PSS According to Moss the new Cat comes with a Gasket. It’d be interesting to see what the difference is between what I ordered from VB.

01-27-2003, 10:38 PM
I'm just glad I don't have to pass smog. the first thing I did was scrap the cat converter

Gary Lloyd
01-28-2003, 12:37 AM
Me neither!! images/icons/grin.gif Maybe you should try re-torquing it when it is warm!!

01-28-2003, 01:07 AM
good suggestion graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Bret
01-28-2003, 12:23 PM
OK two things.

I plan on installing my new Cat hopefully this weekend. But just so you know it’s almost impossible to get a normal open wrench on the inside bolt location with the manifold attached. I can’t for the life of me think how I’m going to get a torque wrench & socket on these bolts after it’s “warmed up” & still in place.

images/icons/confused.gif

Bret

01-28-2003, 12:38 PM
this is a good question. Gary?

Gary Lloyd
01-28-2003, 11:48 PM
Probaly with a six point socket and an extension!! Not ever owning a 'B with a cat, I really don't know what it looks like, bit if all else fails, just figger out how much torque you need and what it feels like!! I have never put a torque wrench on exhaust parts!! GOOD LUCK!!

Bret
01-29-2003, 12:21 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gary Lloyd:
Probaly with a six point socket and an extension!! Not ever owning a 'B with a cat, I really don't know what it looks like, bit if all else fails, just figger out how much torque you need and what it feels like!! I have never put a torque wrench on exhaust parts!! GOOD LUCK!!<hr></blockquote>

I know your trying and thanks for that. But just so you know the Catalytic converter used by our Bs has a sharp angle that prevents attacking the problem in this way. Matter a fact this is such a tight area that you can’t even fit a standard socket on the nut. All I can assume is the Cat is installed with the manifold removed to allow full access.

This is my plan for this weekend. I’ve already purchased new head to manifold gaskets and will follow-up with the group with the final resolution.

But don’t let that stop any of you from offering any pearls of wisdom until then.

graemlins/hammer.gif

Bret

Gary Lloyd
01-29-2003, 12:57 AM
Now I feel like a balloon that just landed on a pin!! images/icons/confused.gif Where can I see a picture?? graemlins/blush.gif

Bret
01-29-2003, 01:34 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gary Lloyd:
Now I feel like a balloon that just landed on a pin!! images/icons/confused.gif Where can I see a picture?? graemlins/blush.gif <hr></blockquote>

If you’ve never seen or dealt with this setup before there isn’t a reason to be embarrassed. But if you’re sure you’d like to have a look at it - then check out your Moss and/or Victoria British Catalog look at the Zenith-Stromberg Manifold & Exhaust system 1975-80. You can also go to MOSS.COMM. Both have a good exploded parts of this.

You'll note that the Manifold to Cat gasket is somewhat wimpy.

Bret

[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: Bret ]</p>

Gary Lloyd
01-29-2003, 01:44 AM
I was just joking, I'm not worried!! I just can't understand why you can't get a wrench on it!! images/icons/shocked.gif

Bret
01-29-2003, 02:01 AM
I was just joking, I'm not worried!! I just can't understand why you can't get a wrench on it!! images/icons/shocked.gif <hr></blockquote>

No sockets mind you - but you can get an open end wrench on two of the three nuts easy enough. While the third one in the rear will allow you (after a bit of contorting) to access it with that same open end wrench, but it provides little or no room for it to be tightened.

Bret

piman
01-29-2003, 10:46 AM
Hello Bret,
It sounds as though you need some obstruction spanners. There are two types that I have, the best is a ring 'C' spanner, which when viewed in plan is 'C' shaped and allows you to sort of go round corners. The alternative is an open end spanner where the open end is at 90 degrees to the shank, (rather than the 15 degrees or so of a standard).
Another useful option is a crows foot or open end socket, this may allow you to torque it up.
All these should be available at a good took stockist.

Alec. graemlins/cheers.gif

gene johnston
01-30-2003, 08:20 AM
Not sure how orginal your trying to stay. Have read somewhere that an option was to remove the cat to another location ie replace the ft muffler with a cat. just have to be sure that you allow adequate heat protection above it. reduces crampness of engine compartment and also some heat.

MtnMGB
06-03-2003, 01:59 PM
I want to remove the cat from my '79 B. Does anyone know of an exhaust, manifold back, that is designed for this? Or, will I need to visit a good muffler shop and have a pipe fit?

Would you recommend a new manifold as well?

I'm not building a racer, but a little more grunt is always appreciated.

Thanks for the input!

adam90009
06-03-2003, 02:10 PM
you should be able to order a piece that just goes in place of the cat. I know i've seen one on ebay if you cant find one anywhere else.

WLJ
06-06-2003, 11:07 PM
you can get the pipe from the manifold to the first joint in the exhaust system from any supplier.Canadian cars never had the cat. converter so they are availiable.
WLJ graemlins/cheers.gif graemlins/cheers.gif