PDA

View Full Version : Sunbeam Rapier Convertible

JoshP
02-13-2006, 01:55 PM
Hello all, I'm Josh from across the pond in MG land /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

While at a local scrapyard, I found a near-complete Sunbeam Rapier convertible; the owner priced it at $400. The car is basically complete, lacking only an interior. The drivetrain and all the sheet metal is there otherwise. Except for some rust through on the back lid, the body's in decent shape with some surface rust.

It's a very restorable and potentially beautiful car, but it will definitely need a fair amount of work and elbow grease. The car is located in Pikeville, KY; send me a PM if you're interested in more info.

Edit: I would've posted this in classifieds, but since I don't own the actual car, I didn't think it was appropriate to do so.

kennypinkerton
02-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Got any pictures?

JoshP
02-13-2006, 02:42 PM
I can get a few, but it'll be a while before I can get back up to that yard. The weather is pretty rough here right now.

JoshP
02-13-2006, 02:43 PM
I can get a few, but it'll be a while before I can get back up to that yard. The weather is pretty rough here right now. I can say that the car is solid and straight structurally and is mostly complete mechanically and cosmetically. It's missing the interior.

kennypinkerton
02-13-2006, 03:15 PM
I wonder if JDW would be interested in this? Might be a bit bigger than what's he's after though.

JoshP
02-13-2006, 03:19 PM
I exchanged PMs with JDW about the Rapier when I found it; it didn't turn out to be what he was looking for.

kennypinkerton
02-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Oh. Yeah, I think he's really wanting a Fiat 500.

JoshP
02-13-2006, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I think he's looking for something in the micro car line. The smaller the better.

Sherlock
02-14-2006, 09:40 PM
Hey Josh,

I know of a couple different group of folks who might have some interest - British Saloon Car Club of Canada, a club I belong to targetted specifically at this kind of car, when you get some pictures I'd love to see them, the owner can list the car in the next club newsletter for free.

tony barnhill
02-14-2006, 09:41 PM
I forget what they look like

kennypinkerton
02-14-2006, 09:45 PM
Pretty neat looking cars...
https://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthreads/memberfiles/175955-SunbeamRapier.jpg

Sherlock
02-14-2006, 09:45 PM
Here's what a Sunbeam Rapier convertible looks like...

https://www.classiccartrim.co.uk/images/car4.jpg

Just an image I found on an websearch for images.

tony barnhill
02-14-2006, 09:47 PM
That little thing is so ugly its cute...okay, now I'm interested.....

AngliaGT
02-14-2006, 11:10 PM
I think that was the same thing as the Hillman Minx.

- Doug

JoshP
02-15-2006, 12:05 AM
I'm going to try to get back up to that yard tomorrow and get some pics of the Rapier and the MGA shell that's up there. I think I may have someone interested in the MGA.

As a reminder, the owner's asking $400 for the Rapier; it's basically a complete car that needs a good helping of TLC. It's in decent structural condition; the only rust through is in the trunk lid and rear bumper mount.

I had hoped it might tickle JDW's fancy for a project car, but he's looking for something even smaller. The car's in Kentucky, so a Canadian buyer would have a good road trip ahead of them to come and get it.

Think you might be interested in it, Tony?

Sherlock
02-15-2006, 01:13 AM
Lots of American members in the club too, Josh...

tony barnhill
02-15-2006, 08:21 AM
Josh - don't know why I do this; but, yes....get me lots of photos

JoshP
02-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Oh, my bad, Sherlock...didn't think about that. I'm going to try to get up to that yard and get some pictures of the cars. I know why you do it, Tony...you can't help yourself. You've got one of the worst cases of LBCitis that any of us have ever seen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

tony barnhill
02-15-2006, 11:06 AM
I guess....waiting for the photos...guess I need to check the trailer since my friend returned it

tony barnhill
02-15-2006, 11:07 AM
Sherlock - here's your chance to grab an unusual little British car....

JoshP
02-15-2006, 02:45 PM
The photos of the Rapier are now uploaded into my Photobucket album. Here's the link:

https://photobucket.com/albums/c46/jrp316/Rapier/

While you're there, check out the MGA and my silver B!

tony barnhill
02-15-2006, 05:11 PM
Thanks for taking the photos, Josh - to me she's just a $200 parts car - lots of rust there

When you said "no interior" you meant "no interior" - what's that, a VW seat?

JoshP
02-15-2006, 07:31 PM
I'm not sure what kind of seats those are, but they're not bolted to anything. Somebody probably just tossed those in, along with a '77+ steering wheel and a wire wheel.

I slipped up some when I said 'no interior'; I confused what I saw in the Rapier for what I saw in the MGA. My bad there. It has an interior per se, just not the right one.

She definitely has potential as someone's project; if you wanted to haggle price, I'd say the 'flash some cash' routine would work like a charm.

tony barnhill
02-16-2006, 09:38 AM
If it were just within a 3 hour or so drive

JoshP
02-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Sherlock sent a message to a man in SC who might be interested in it; his dad lives in Jenkins, KY. It may yet find a home.

tony barnhill
02-16-2006, 10:29 AM
Good....Jenkins, KY...I had a friend who lived near there...Sam Chandler

JoshP
02-16-2006, 10:49 AM
I know Sam, talked to him on the phone a couple of times. He's the one who told me where that scrapyard was. The stuff that's there used to belong to a man who had an LBC parts business and car collection. When he passed away about 10 years ago, most of the stuff was sold; the rest of it ended up in the yard.

There's some good stuff up there; I bought an old 25d to tinker with, some wheel cap emblems and a couple of window cranks. Even found an old copy of Clymer's.

Sherlock
02-16-2006, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sherlock sent a message to a man in SC who might be interested in it; his dad lives in Jenkins, KY. It may yet find a home.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he can stick handle around his wife /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif At least according to his e-mail message...

tony barnhill
02-16-2006, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
stick handle around his wife

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that kinda like hiding a car from her?