PDA

View Full Version : Engine problem

67BJ8
02-19-2003, 02:28 PM
My rebuilt engine has less than 1 hour running time. It does not seen to rev up very fast at all.
My brother in law's 1957 100-6 revs up much quicker. Also, when the engine gets up to about 180 degrees temp it starts idling rough and blowing white smoke out of the right exhaust pipe. I have rebuilt a number of engines before, but have not had this type of problem occur. I
wonder if I don't have a leaking head gasket.

tahoe healey
02-19-2003, 02:52 PM
I would start by pulling the plugs and check for rust, then check compression. Look in the radiator for oil. White smoke usually means water and if there is oil present in the coolant, its the main gasket. You may also want to recheck the torque on the head. Did you paint the copper gasket? This is always disappointing just when you think you've got it all together. Good luck.
Rich

CDK
02-19-2003, 09:47 PM
Checking plugs and compression was a great reply. The good news is the problem poped up fast.(I would not run it any more untill test are complete) The bad news is it probally wont fix its self. Take your time to check stuff and good luck.

Did you check the valve adjustment,just kidding,hope it made you laugh.

[ 02-19-2003: Message edited by: CDK ]</p>

Randy Forbes
02-20-2003, 12:12 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>It could be a bad brake booster. If so, the engine could be sucking brake fluid up the vacuum line.<hr></blockquote>

While it wouldn't happen in an hour's worth of runtime, ingesting brake fluid will burn exhaust valves.

A leakdown test is your best bet to diagnose this problem from "the outside".

Randy Forbes
02-20-2003, 12:15 AM
BTW, as for the slow rev up, check your cam timing again.

Barefoot
02-20-2003, 04:40 AM
It could be a bad brake booster. If so, the engine could be sucking brake fluid up the vacuum line.

ThomP
02-20-2003, 10:02 AM
In addition to the other items listed. The white smoke from the right tail pipe could be caused by the "worn rocker shaft syndrome" mentioned on another topic here. The right pipe is connected to the rear cylinders which is where the rocker vent hose is connected. If the rear plugs (especially #6) are oily and the smoke is a shade of bluish white, make sure your rocker shaft isn't spraying oil when the engine is warm. This is also where the vacuum for the brakes originates so, it too, will come mostly out the right pipe if there is a fluid leak.

Slow reving has many sources. Recheck the basics: Are the carbs properly synchronized? Do they open in unison (and fully)? Are they properly tuned? Does the vacuum advance unit function properly? Is the timing set correctly?

Hope it turns out to be two "simple" issues
Cheers

stever
02-20-2003, 12:42 PM
Would a clogged fuel filter be a possible cause of slow revving?
Also, white smoke could be water from a defective head gasket, non?

67BJ8
02-20-2003, 02:23 PM
Thanks for all of the information. The brake booster is new, so I hope that it is not the problem. I had Healey Surgeons do my carbs. I think that I adjusted them OK. I talked with a vintace racer engine builder who lives on Long Island. He said that the white smoke could be from the head gasket. He said that a couple of times they thought that the head on a healey was tightened down, when in fact the stud had bottomed out. I'll check that out as soon as I can get out of this snow pile that used to be my yard. I will also check out the rocker shaft. As for the revving up problem. I am using the original distributer and it is pretty worn out. Maybe the problem is in it.I hope that you guys bear with me. I'll have many more questions in the future. I sure am glad that I found this forum.

Randy Forbes
02-20-2003, 05:01 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 67BJ8:
...I hope that you guys bear with me. I'll have many more questions in the future. I sure am glad that I found this forum.<hr></blockquote>

BTW, how far is Toronto, Ohio from Toledo?
graemlins/cheers.gif

tahoe healey
02-20-2003, 05:46 PM
As to the slow rev, do you mean that with accelerator pressed it's slow to get to the desired rpm? Check the centrifical weights in the distributer to see if they are getting hung-up. Also the vacumm hose conection needs to be free from debris. Best way to check these two things is to connect a timing light and push the accelerator and watch the timing notch advance. Your timing may have slipped to retard and that might slow acceleration as well.
Rich

John Turney
02-21-2003, 12:17 AM
The suggestions for "white smoke" look pretty good, so I won't add to those suggestions, but I'll add to list for slow revving: check that the throttles open all the way. Adjustment of the throttle linkage takes some fiddling, and yours may not open all the way.

graemlins/cheers.gif
John, BN4