PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got a Lotus Elan 26R

osi26r
09-30-2003, 09:35 PM
I just want to see if any body other then my self on this site has Lotus Elan 26R

O.S.I. Has arrived!!!

TypeRboy
10-01-2003, 01:25 AM
Hi there O.S.I. I guess you have the only 26R on the board for sure. We had a chance to buy one some years back but the car was a wreck and at the time was too much money. Do you race your R or is a street demon?

Welcome to the board.. The Lotus section is not overly active, but overall there are lots of great threads in amongst the rest of the board.

What year is your car? What's done to it? Put a pic or two of it in the gallery..

Mark

osi26r
10-01-2003, 05:28 PM
I have a 1964 Lotus Elan 26r (26-R-36)seris one my grandfather raced it to a pacific coast Championship an d raced against many notalbe names. It has been in the family siting in are garage and we started restoring it a year ago. graemlins/driving.gif

TypeRboy
10-01-2003, 11:44 PM
Hmm A year ago eh? Sounds like you have about a year and a half to go.. Usually takes about 2 to 3 years for a full at home resto.

osi26r
10-03-2003, 05:35 PM
Its not a full on restoration but we have a ways to

O.S.I. Has arrived graemlins/driving.gif

Basil
10-03-2003, 05:43 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by osi26r:
Its not a full on restoration but we have a ways to

O.S.I. Has arrived graemlins/driving.gif <hr></blockquote>

Got pictures?

Super 7
10-04-2003, 12:55 PM
The one that Dave Bean races was pulled out of a basement garage on Balboa Island in Newport Beach. It had sat in there for years. Someone told Tom Beauchamp about it, and Tom bought it, then Dave Bean bought it from him. Dave told me that his old race car already had a lor of the "R" pieces of that very same "R", and they are all reunited now. It is a pretty fast Elan.

Basil
10-05-2003, 01:39 AM
I'm guessing this is it? (Your email didn't have any text, just this picture, so I'm assuming this is the car we're discussing?"

PS: You can upload this yourself to our Members Gallery! (In the Lotus section of course images/icons/grin.gif )

Basil

https://www.britishcarforum.com/temp/Lotus01.jpg

[ 10-04-2003: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

osi26r
10-05-2003, 10:39 PM
Yup thats mine shes beutiful already

O.S.I. Has Arivved

JBsZ06
10-05-2003, 11:14 PM
Wow! Thats quite a cool package to work on..

Congrats and good luck!

JB

osi26r
10-06-2003, 08:24 PM
Thanks and if any one wants to spot me a few Thousend just say so

O.S.I. Has arrived

osi26r
10-06-2003, 08:24 PM
Thanks and if any one wants to spot me a few Thousend just say so

O.S.I. Has arrived

JBsZ06
10-06-2003, 10:42 PM
If any of you guys know or could estimate...What would it could it cost to make that car a reliable runner?

A few grand or tens of thousands?

Thanks

JB

osi26r
10-07-2003, 05:30 PM
We estimate spending 20,000 give or take to make it race ready. images/icons/frown.gif

O.S.I. Has Arrived

JBsZ06
10-07-2003, 11:21 PM
20 grand sounds like an great deal for such a cool car!

Good luck

JB

osi26r
10-08-2003, 05:54 PM
It will be unlike anything the world has ever seen

O.S.I. Has Arrived

JBsZ06
10-08-2003, 07:12 PM
The Lotus you are building certainly will be a rare bred ....

what special plans do you have for this fine automobile ....

If you could tell us what you have planned that would be cool.

Thanks

JB

osi26r
10-08-2003, 10:01 PM
One thing where going to do is put the race track placks that he won our competed in on the dashI'll keep you posted on the progress and hopefully more pictures

O.S.I. Has Arrived

TypeRboy
10-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Actually if you have the good parts still with the carit costs about the same to restore as a regular Elan. I have way more than $20,000 US in our Elan.. Mind you there isn't a part of the car that has been overlooked or done to " good enough " standard.

Cool wheels on yours though..I like..

osi26r
10-24-2003, 12:01 AM
I hope you will pardon my son Paul's (aka osi26r) youthful exuberance. His excitement about the Elan is not wholly unjustified, though. He has done a lot of good work on the car, including finding out a lot of things on the internet I never knew. I had always thought I just had this old Elan in the garage that was raced in the SCCA of the mid 60s. I had no idea it was a "26R", or what a 26R was. All my attempts to find parts were failures and progress was non-existant. The internet changed all that. Paul found a number of places on the internet that had parts, including Dave Bean. A couple of e-mails later I discovered that not only did Dave have a 26R, but that it was originally raced by a guy whose name I new very well, Bill Young. Bill Young won third place in points for the west coast division in 1965. Joe Ward (Paul's grandpa) was second in points behind Dick Jones of Fresno. All three drivers were eligible to race for the national title at Daytona in Florida. During the shipment of my dad's Elan to Florida the hub was damaged and he wasn't able to qualify. Bill Young, who had a similar Elan back in LA wired his shop, had them remove the hub from his older car and send it to Florida - True sportsmanship. The hub made it to Florida in time for my dad to race on Sunday, but he had to start dead last(27th position) because he couldn't run the qualifying races. By the end of the race, Dad had made it all the way to 3rd place against the top drivers in the country. Who won? Well, you know. Bill Young.
Paul also found a video on the internet that had some footage of our Elan. www.motorsportcollector.com. (https://www.motorsportcollector.com.) If you go to that site and page down a little ways you will find a section that has a link for "videos". There, you will find the video "1965 Times Grand Prix". The video was actually taken from an ABC Sunday sports show. I thought I would buy the video hoping that maybe there might be some footage of Joe Ward in our Elan. Sure enough, there are about 6 different clips of the car, mostly getting passed by the likes of Jim Clark in his Lotus 40, or Hap Sharp's Chaparral. He had qualified 41st for a starting field of 40 and it looked like he wouldn't be in the race. Then, Jim Hall's Chaparral's suspension broke and moved Joe Ward up to the last spot on the grid. The only other car in the race that even resembled a street car was a factory backed 427 Cobra. Joe Ward finished 3rd in the under 2 liter class behind a pair of Lotus 23s and 17th over all.
The video, with shipping and all, is about $31.

TypeRboy
10-26-2003, 09:48 PM
Wow..Thanks for the expose' on your car... I just know you guys are going to have a fine machine to run in whatever events you choose. If there is ever anything that I can help you with ( I have a friend who races a seriously prepped Elan with great success and has access to bits and info that are not not out of this world to get such as you would find at Beans.)Are you folks on the East or West coast? I am in BC Canada..

Mark

osi26r
10-28-2003, 02:16 AM
We live out in the desert of Southern California. Thanks for the kind offer of help. We are learning very quickly, but still have very little idea of what we are doing in this restoration. I will take all the help I can get. My intention is to use it mostly as a street car, but if the opportunity to race it comes along I would like to be able to do so. My wife says that Dave Bean's car and our car are "old buddies" and it would be a lot of fun to get the two old 26Rs on a race track together again.
I enjoyed seeing the pictures of your 66 Elan in the members photo gallery and would like to see more if they are available.
Bruce

TypeRboy
12-03-2003, 02:49 AM
Perfect. Kevin lives in California as well..
Why don't you send him an e-mail..

Kevin Hull ( yvonnehull@yahoo.com )

Very friendly guy, you'll like him!I'll need an e-mailaddress tosend more pics..I don'tknow how to attach them to my responses on this site..

My address is thegoodlife4us@shaw.ca

[ 12-02-2003: Message edited by: TypeRboy ]</p>

osi26r
12-04-2003, 02:46 AM
Mark,
You can e-mail those pictures to me at bward@pe.net. Also, I sent a letter and an old photo to Classic Motorsports magazine. The picture is of my dad in his Lotus Super 7 at a 1964 SCCA points race in Tucson. They printed the letter and photo in their January 2004 issue.
Bruce

Dave Thielke
12-04-2003, 04:06 AM
Reguarding your earlier post, I dont think you can put Joe's plaques on the elan's dash, there aint that much room and it would greatly alter the power to weight ratio. (Joe had a bunch of them)
Dave T graemlins/driving.gif