View Full Version : Elise on EBay

Wingtip
05-02-2001, 11:48 PM
In case anyone is interested, I just ram across this Elise on EBay:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=585405182

George

ljohnson
05-03-2001, 04:01 PM
And, just in case anyone is really interested... You may want to know everything about these "street legal" Elises.

They are indeed titled (Florida is a pretty lax state), but they are NOT legal. First and foremost, if the feds ever come across it, they will take the car and crush it (or force you to export it). It does not matter if the car is titled and registered or not. The fact of the matter is that it is illegal and does not meet safety and emission regulations.

Some other states will just accept that Florida titled it and will also title it if you buy it, but there is no guarantee.

I do know of a guy that did this same type of deal with one of those Smart cars. Well, feds heard about it and made him export the car. They dropped all the charges though when they found out that he was just a rogue and not an organized illegal importer. However, the car is still gone and the only compensation is what he could get by selling it out of the country.

That all being said, it I had the cash and was willing to be able to kiss it goodbye if the feds caught me, I would probably be interested.

There is an Exige with Texas plates that was brought in the same way as the above mentioned Elise. I would much rather have the Exige.

Lance

Wingtip
05-03-2001, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by ljohnson:
And, just in case anyone is really interested... You may want to know everything about these "street legal" Elises.

They are indeed titled (Florida is a pretty lax state), but they are NOT legal. First and foremost, if the feds ever come across it, they will take the car and crush it (or force you to export it). It does not matter if the car is titled and registered or not. The fact of the matter is that it is illegal and does not meet safety and emission regulations.

Some other states will just accept that Florida titled it and will also title it if you buy it, but there is no guarantee.

I do know of a guy that did this same type of deal with one of those Smart cars. Well, feds heard about it and made him export the car. They dropped all the charges though when they found out that he was just a rogue and not an organized illegal importer. However, the car is still gone and the only compensation is what he could get by selling it out of the country.

That all being said, it I had the cash and was willing to be able to kiss it goodbye if the feds caught me, I would probably be interested.

There is an Exige with Texas plates that was brought in the same way as the above mentioned Elise. I would much rather have the Exige.

Lance

Aren't they taking a pretty big chance advertising it out in the open on EBay then?

ljohnson
05-04-2001, 06:52 PM
I would say that he is taking a big chance. However, how many US DOT and NHTSA people are surfing the web looking for the cars? I know some guys that have called the NHTSA and inquired about somehow getting an Elise. They were emphatically told no. The NHTSA definitely knows all about the Elise.

I'm guessing that someone would have to turn them in. It won't be me. Although I'm not gutsy enough to buy one, I love seeing the around. :^)

Lance

Wingtip
05-04-2001, 07:58 PM
Bummer! Its a really cool looking car!