PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Disributor Points

karls59tr
06-26-2019, 11:14 PM
Took a look at the TR3 points today and saw that they were offset so that the two point faces were not meeting head on. What causes that to happen? Seems to me that only one edge of the point would only be sparking across the gap and that if they met face to face I would be getting more of a complete spark there. Are some point sets better than others and who sells the better ones?

TR3driver
06-26-2019, 11:41 PM
Sometimes, if they get hot, the plastic block can deform and cause that. I've also seen brand new points where the contacts didn't meet exactly.

Doesn't really make that much difference to the spark, although it might shorten the point life.

Sorry, no help on "better". I just run whatever TRF sells me, they seem to work fine.

CJD
06-27-2019, 08:13 AM
TR points are pretty flimsy. I can usually work with them...bending the metal or monkeying with the screw...until they are square and aligned. Once aligned they seem to stay that way.

Geo Hahn
06-27-2019, 09:41 AM
I always put a dab of lube on the cam to help the plastic block last longer. They used to give you a little capsule of lube with the points for just this purpose. I use assembly lube but other stuff may work as well or better.