PDA

View Full Version : No Internet

pdplot
09-12-2018, 07:39 PM
Tired of dropped Internet with my little Linksys N router, I sprung for a Netgear Orbi20W mesh system from Best Buy - $199.95. This would be the end of my woes. I dragged my laptop into the den and followed the easy directions, plugging in the ethernet cable and all was well - until I unplugged the cable. No Internet. I synched the router and satellite. No dice. It got so bad I couldn't even use the website - told me my password was no good. And I could not find a telephone number for Netgear. I had the same experience last year with an updated Linksys router. What ever happened to "plug and play"? I haven't got the time or the patience to f&%$ with this stuff, so back went the old router. Another nightmare. Any ideas before I return this stuff?

TOC
09-12-2018, 07:42 PM
dial-up

mikephillips
09-13-2018, 02:38 PM
It is plug and play. Plug it in and play with it until it works or you give up...

DrEntropy
09-13-2018, 03:52 PM
There's a reset button on the router to put it back to factory defaults, then you should be able to access the router's management software (what I assume you called the website). The router should pick up an IP address from the satellite router, sync the two with the cable connected. Unplug the CAT-5, look in the WiFi signals and choose the Omni, then using the default SSID and key to connect.

It should be that simple. But I've had a love/hate relationship with more than one of Netgear's products.

pdplot
09-13-2018, 08:50 PM
Doc - I'm sorry. No capeesh. No comprende. CAT 5? I never got past CAT 1. But good news. "Playing" as Mike suggested for almost 2 hours, I somehow I got it up and running on two computers. Dumb luck? maybe. I was on the verge of calling the Geek Squad after it told me I had no ( or it could not find) my IP address - whatever that is. (Remember IP daily?) It must have found it on its own. I moved the laptop back into my office, gave my wife the password - or what I thought was the password - and she logged on with her I-pad. Good to go. Now we'll see how long it lasts and if it breaks the connection like my little router kept doing. Thanks for the help.

DrEntropy
09-14-2018, 08:01 AM
Well, glad to hear ya got it workin'! In this case, the end does justify the means. Perseverance has its rewards. :wink: