PDA

View Full Version : Unscheduled pit stop!

DrEntropy
09-06-2018, 04:37 PM
Had a noon meeting with some folks today, took the MG. A local eatery about five miles away. Meeting over by one O'clock, set off for the hovel. Had to enter a six lane, 40 MPH divided highway and get across three lanes to negotiate a U-turn at a center cutout for turning and left that with a bit of boot in it to get out in front of oncoming traffic. Another quarter-mile and I heard a "rattling" suddenly coming from the front of the car, thought at first I'd run through some pebbles I hadn't noticed but the noise stayed with me too long. "Oh, poop". Thought the fan belt is the likely noisemaker. Pulled into a gas station as the temp gauge confirmed. Bonnet up, sure enuff. The remnants of the belt were in several pieces around the front of the engine bay. Called Mitsy, she works within a mile of where I was sat, she headed to the nearby NAPA. Called them and had a belt and a 9/16" wrench set out for her to pick up and bring to me. Fifteen minutes later I was putting the new belt on, back to the hovel by 2:30.

Now augmenting the on-board spares and tools! Had a belt hanging on a pegboard in the garage, thought to put it in the trunk a week or so ago but got sidetracked (not unusual) and neglected to do it. The other thing I've not done yet is to install a small fire extinguisher in the passenger footwell... I think I better get one in there before too much longer. :wink:

Gliderman8
09-06-2018, 05:16 PM
Glad you got it sorted out without too much headache. A little over a year ago I installed a fire extinguisher as a result of leaving my e-brake on.... exited the highway and the rear wheels were smoking :scared:

JPSmit
09-06-2018, 05:47 PM
Not at all clear what is the best part of the story.

1. NAPA had the part

2. That and a wrench solved the problem

3. The problem was solved in 15 minutes

4. Hersmits was there and able to pick it all up.

all together - PRICELESS!

my version would be

1. rattling noise - no place to pull over - get to the side of the highway

2. Local store wouldn't even know what an MG was - but might be able to get the part in 10 days if I bring in the old one

3. SWMBO would be in Kansas, or her phone would be off or

4. They would give her a bungee cord to use as a belt

5. The tow truck would be 45 minutes late

6. the App wouldn't work for CAA

7. I would still be waiting on the road and wouldn't even be able to post this.

number6
09-07-2018, 06:54 AM
In the old days you would take one of your wife’s nylons and use that. No tools required. Sadly nylons have gone the way of the Dodo.

Alfred E. Neuman
09-07-2018, 07:29 AM
Anybody carry one of those temporary clip together belts in their road kit? Or is it just easier to carry a spare belt and a wrench and do the proper fix right then and there?

Gliderman8
09-07-2018, 08:49 AM
It’s a PITA to change the belt in a TR6 as you have to remove the cross brace first so yo can get the new belt on.

sail
09-07-2018, 09:33 AM
I had a quick response but can't top JP's.

waltesefalcon
09-07-2018, 12:25 PM
Doc, I'm happy everything came together so smoothly for you. My story would have probably been more like JP's.

"Anybody carry one of those temporary clip together belts in their road kit? Or is it just easier to carry a spare belt and a wrench and do the proper fix right then and there? "

I think it is better to just carry the tools you need and a proper spare.

DrEntropy
09-07-2018, 01:44 PM
I had a quick response but can't top JP's.

Heheee!! I've had it go sideways too. Have the Triple A "gold card" just in case. Came in handy when on a Sunday return trip from Miami to Tampa and the second flat put Diesela out of commission at the west end of Alligator Alley. That turned a four hour trip into a 12 hour odyssey!

Basil
09-07-2018, 01:45 PM
Whew! For a minute there I thought this thread was going to be about nighttime trips to the loo.

DrEntropy
09-08-2018, 07:54 AM
Whew! For a minute there I thought this thread was going to be about nighttime trips to the loo.

Well, sooo sorry to disappoint ya! :smirk:

Basil
09-08-2018, 08:42 AM
Well, sooo sorry to disappoint ya! :smirk:
Not disappointed...

Relieved :highly_amused:

Bayless
09-08-2018, 11:20 AM
Is that "relieved" as in a nighttime trip to the loo?

DrEntropy
09-08-2018, 11:42 AM
:arms::winner1: