PDA

View Full Version : Whees of Time Street Rod Show

Brooklands
08-25-2018, 06:29 PM
I went to the show today, about 2 miles from home, and had a good time seeing such interesting things as the Monkeemobile, a 700 hp Morris Minor, and Doug Danger doing motorcycle ramp jumps. But the custom rods are great for photography, so I put together an album on Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/brooklands/albums/72157700285874004 if anyone is interested.

JPSmit
08-25-2018, 09:54 PM
Nice pics - interesting Toyota - not sure I would have gone that route - but interesting none the less - And nice that there are interesting cars in the parking lot!

Popeye
08-26-2018, 08:24 AM
Great photographs - thank you!

I admire the skills to build a hot rod; paint, metal, and general design skills...how to fit all the bits into a body.

3798j
08-26-2018, 09:04 AM
Nice! Whether it's street rods or race cars, you really take a great photo. My favorite...that mildly customized cream over green shoebox Ford.

JPSmit
08-26-2018, 09:19 AM
BTW I love the title of this thread (freudian? ;) ) because much like us I am sure the owners go Wheeeee! as they drive, so, they really are the Whees of time! :grin:

Brooklands
08-26-2018, 10:36 AM
BTW I love the title of this thread (freudian? ;) ) because much like us I am sure the owners go Wheeeee! as they drive, so, they really are the Whees of time! :grin:

Yep...it was a slip of the keyboard which I was unable to correct. Glad it worked.

Brooklands
08-26-2018, 10:39 AM
Great photographs - thank you!

I admire the skills to build a hot rod; paint, metal, and general design skills...how to fit all the bits into a body.

My friend John and I were discussing the general imagination and design of some of the cars. I used to try to kitbash my model car kits into customs, but my lack of manual dexterity and imagination always seemed to get in my way of completing anything special. I still have some half-finished models in the boxes in my basement.

Brooklands
08-26-2018, 10:40 AM
Nice! Whether it's street rods or race cars, you really take a great photo.

Thanks. I was enjoying trying out a new lens I recently bought for an upcoming vacation. It proved to be a real benefit.

HealeyRick
08-26-2018, 10:45 AM
Great pics! Love the Fiat 500 and the Morris Minor Traveler with a Hemi.

Bob McElwee
08-26-2018, 12:53 PM
Great pictures, enjoyed them very much. I really liked the variety.

Brooklands
08-26-2018, 01:03 PM
Great pictures, enjoyed them very much. I really liked the variety.

Thanks Bob!!

mikephillips
08-27-2018, 01:32 PM
Ran across once an interesting description of the shortcuts taken to get the Monkeemobile ready for TV in the 60s. Seems that with the extra long passenger compartment they had to relocate the rear axle further back and lengthen the frame. Well there were no mounts for the rear springs and they didn't have time to design and make them so the TV answer was to use angle iron and weld the rear housing on top of the frame. Apparently they had to be very careful using it for shooting them to avoid breaking it loose.

Brooklands
08-27-2018, 05:27 PM
Apparently they had to be very careful using it for shooting them to avoid breaking it loose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmg86CRBBtw

DrEntropy
08-28-2018, 03:57 PM
Really nice shots, Dave. What optic did you get?

Brooklands
08-28-2018, 05:32 PM
Really nice shots, Dave. What optic did you get?

Thanks Doc. I have recently added an M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-100mm f4.0 IS PRO for my Olympus E-M1. I am very happy with the combination so far. My E-M1 is a Mk 1, but I understand that with a Mk2 the video stabilization approaches a SteadyCam level. It will be a while till I get to check that.

NutmegCT
08-28-2018, 06:13 PM
Thanks Doc. I have recently added an M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-100mm f4.0 IS PRO for my Olympus E-M1. I am very happy with the combination so far. My E-M1 is a Mk 1, but I understand that with a Mk2 the video stabilization approaches a SteadyCam level. It will be a while till I get to check that.

Yikes - I think I only understood a few words of that. Remember the days of the Brownie? "You press the button, we do the rest."

DrEntropy
08-29-2018, 12:00 PM
Tom, he said he got a kick-butt wide-to-medium-long zoom lens. :smirk:

NutmegCT
08-29-2018, 01:14 PM
Tom, he said he got a kick-butt wide-to-medium-long zoom lens. :smirk:

Thanks for the translation. :encouragement:

Never could understand tech talk. Many years ago I discobolificated my ranstansmerinctum.

TM

pdplot
08-31-2018, 04:59 PM
Tom - when a camera lens is extended out to telephoto length, the image tends to jump around because of the high magnification. On a tripod - not a problem, but hand-held, you get a blurry shot. Don't ask me how I know. Image stabilization - whether in the camera body itself or in the lens itself, uses a gyroscopic principle to steady the image in at least two axes. Olympus cameras have some of the best in-camera stabilization while Panasonic - which uses similar lenses - does not have it and relies on in-lens stabilization.