PDA

View Full Version : SiriusXM

NutmegCT
07-10-2018, 05:49 PM
I wondered who else is using SiriusXM?

I see 3 basic packages: Select ($15/mo), All Access ($20/mo), Mostly Music ($10/mo).

https://www.siriusxm.com/ourmostpopularpackages

I hardly use car radio now except on interstate trips (air museum, etc.) of 30 minutes or more. NPR, APM, some FM music stations. Lots of audio books on CD.

(You can tell I've never had satellite radio before!)

Thanks.
Tom M.
2018 Altima just arrived. Lots of digital learning curve ahead!

Gliderman8
07-10-2018, 05:58 PM
Tom,
We got a 6 month free trial of Sirius when we bought a Toyota for my wife. After the six months ran out we decided not to subscribe since my wife does not spend that much time in the car.
I have to say it was TERRIBLE marketing on the part of Sirius Radio.... they kept calling our cell phones, sending emails and snail mail trying to get us to sign-up.
It was SO ANNOYING be BADGERED CONSTANTLY by them!
By the way.... if you hold out long enough, they will drop the price to $5/month... really!
All I can say is once you get on Sirius you will be hounded if you decide to cancel.... good luck.

Brooklands
07-10-2018, 06:03 PM
I use Sirius XM instead of AM/FM. When listening to music, I am glad to lose the commercials. When traveling on a road trip, it save constantly looking for a new station because we keep losing signals. But mostly I listen to channel 148: Radio Classics. We really enjoy the old radio dramas, especially Johnny Dollar and Gunsmoke (it is fun to imagine William Conrad jumping on his horse). I also have listened to F1 races, World Cup games, and other sports when out of range of my local area. I use the all access to also listen to shows while in the house using my phone or computer.

DNK
07-10-2018, 06:20 PM
It's a great service for traveling

Grantura_MKI
07-10-2018, 08:01 PM
I have it in the shop, that’s it for now.

JPSmit
07-10-2018, 11:01 PM
I agree re: the hounding and terrible customer service - I got free 6 months when I got the car but no one told me - so, 3 months later when I figured it out they would not extend it a day.

While I love it for travel - I also hate it for travel, partly because the play lists are remarkably short when you listen for a while. partly because while I listened to the comedy channels a lot I found I started thinking that way after a while (which was quite disturbing) and finally because radio stations (and I am a radio guy not CD or other media) connect me to the community and area I am driving through. Interstates and AC in the car disconnect me enough without listening to radio from space.

Grantura_MKI
07-10-2018, 11:28 PM
I hear you. What you don’t know, it that they will make their equipment opposite and force you to purchase new items!

Bob McElwee
07-10-2018, 11:38 PM
I use it for long trips, very rarely in town. When i get to where I'm going, I'll look for local stations sometimes. I have a reminder in my calendar to call and cancel when my next renewal is coming up. Last time i did it at the end of my 6 month freebie, I ended up getting a year for $5/mo. If i can't get it again at that price I'll cancel and start using my iPhone songs on the road.

Basil
07-10-2018, 11:49 PM
I have XM Select in my Santa Fe. I listen to some music (60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, Classic Vinyl, Classic Rewind) but mostly one specific talk station.

Mickey Richaud
07-11-2018, 05:32 AM
Pandora here. Free, unless you upgrade (which we've done), and you can tailor your "stations/channels" to the music you want. There are other similar choices as well. Wife uses it all the time, as it's tied to her Toyota Highlander entertainment system, and I do when I tether my phone to the stereo in the truck and the MGBs.

Sirius offers talk stations and sports talk, neither of which I care to listen to, but they also have old radio programs that are kinda fun to check out. However, I can't really justify paying for that.

Oh, and congrats on the Altima arrival!

NutmegCT
07-11-2018, 06:52 AM
Thanks gents. I think I'll enjoy the trial period, and make my decision when it ends. When I "registered" the car with Sirius to get the trial started, they were a bit eager (!) to get me to subscribe immediately. When they asked for my home address, home phone, cell phone, email and backup email, I followed Nancy Reagan's advice: I just said NO.

Doctor cleared me for driving (after my hernia surgery) yesterday, so I took the Altima out for a few miles. Wow - great car. Photos later.

By the way, it's sharing personal experiences, info and opinions that really makes BCF Pub a great place to meet.

Thanks.
Tom M.

Alfred E. Neuman
07-11-2018, 08:02 AM
Late to this conversation, but we had the Sirius trial in our Toyota we bought 5 years ago. Been subscribing ever since. I absolutely couldn't imagine listening to local terrestrial radio anymore. Huge mix of genres to pick from, broken down into subcategories. No commercials!!!! That's the biggest selling point for me. We live a pretty minimalist lifestyle, and you don't realize how bad the drumbeat of useless consumption that's pumped into your brain is until you remove it.
I have to drive cars for testing at work, and it's amazing the amount of commercials for garbage you're exposed to. Worth every penny not to have to deal with it.

If the car wasn't equipped with a Sirius receiver, I'd get one of the docking type of receivers that I could plug into the car and into a Bose speaker station for home.

3798j
07-11-2018, 08:05 AM
I use it for long trips, very rarely in town. When i get to where I'm going, I'll look for local stations sometimes. I have a reminder in my calendar to call and cancel when my next renewal is coming up. Last time i did it at the end of my 6 month freebie, I ended up getting a year for $5/mo. If i can't get it again at that price I'll cancel and start using my iPhone songs on the road.
I do the same. They're actually very nice on the phone. I've been doing the basic "$5 a month promotional 6 month package" for more than 3 years now...explaining each time that while I like their product, I just don't listen to the radio enough to pay for the higher priced packages.

NutmegCT
07-11-2018, 08:11 AM
The comments about the unending commercials sure ring a bell. But listening to NPR, APM, and area FM music stations, as well as books on CD, I don't think I've heard a commercial on car radio in many years.

Thanks.

DNK
07-11-2018, 09:12 AM
..., Classic Vinyl, Classic Rewind....
Only ones I usually listen to

DNK
07-11-2018, 09:14 AM
Pandora here. Free,

Great if you have unlimited data

DavidApp
07-11-2018, 09:30 AM
Had Sirius and loved it when I was driving long distances for work. When my work travel patterns changed I did less driving so I found I was paying for something that I was lot using so I dropped it. Do enjoy it when I am driving a rental.

Good to hear you are back after the hernia surgery.
How did it go? I have the same in my future.

David

Thanks gents. I think I'll enjoy the trial period, and make my decision when it ends. When I "registered" the car with Sirius to get the trial started, they were a bit eager (!) to get me to subscribe immediately. When they asked for my home address, home phone, cell phone, email and backup email, I followed Nancy Reagan's advice: I just said NO.

Doctor cleared me for driving (after my hernia surgery) yesterday, so I took the Altima out for a few miles. Wow - great car. Photos later.

By the way, it's sharing personal experiences, info and opinions that really makes BCF Pub a great place to meet.

Thanks.
Tom M.

NutmegCT
07-11-2018, 09:32 AM
Hi David - I'll PM you about the hernia adventure. Nothing negative by the way.

Tom M.

Gliderman8
07-11-2018, 10:22 AM
Tom- I never gave Sirius any contact info whatsoever. The Toyota dealer supplied my info to Sirius and it was a nightmare of constant badgering. As it happens, there was a class action suit brought against Sirius and they lost. I received a settlement check for approximately $87.

Popeye
07-11-2018, 11:08 AM
the play lists are remarkably short when you listen for a while.

Completely agree. Lots of choices, but each choice seems to be overly specific. 1980's pop, 1980's rock, 1980's punk, 1980's R&B ... etc. As such, I found a given station gets tiring quickly. It almost needs a "scan" feature - i.e. I am looking for upbeat music, don't care if it is folk, country, rock or R&B. And don't care what decade it is recorded in. Patsy Cline followed by Green Day then Rolling Stones, ...etc. is OK in my book!

Caveat: I only had the 6-month (or 3-month?) trial period offered when buying a car.

John Turney
07-11-2018, 05:32 PM
We have four radios/subscriptions; one in each of two cars, the others are portable and move from house to RV to the Healey with no radio. Listen to it all the time; mostly jazz and classical.

HealeyRick
07-11-2018, 06:20 PM
Just a tip when it's time to renew after the introductory offer is over. Go online and google for "cheapest Sirius renewal" Find the lowest renewal rate, call the cancellation number they'll list online and tell them you want to cancel because the price is too high. You can always get a rate much cheaper than you are quoted on the renewal. I've been doing it for 10 years, not a problem at all. Also, never give them your credit card number or they will automatically renew at a high rate.

DrEntropy
07-11-2018, 06:32 PM
I have a radio/CD player in the MG, but rarely do I drive with any audio on. Rather, I listen to the various engine noises in the different cars for my audio entertainment. Extraneous noise is "excess to requirement" IMHO.

I'm DRIVING!

Basil
07-11-2018, 07:54 PM
<snip> Extraneous noise is "excess to requirement" IMHO.

I'm DRIVING!

So then you never drive with SWMBO? :nana:

NutmegCT
07-11-2018, 07:58 PM

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/the-secret-society/images/1/1a/Rofl.gif/revision/latest?cb=20180621104757

DrEntropy
07-11-2018, 08:01 PM

So ya missed my earlier post?

https://youtu.be/UcbVNggg2uc

pdplot
07-11-2018, 08:59 PM
I made a BIG mistake. Gave them my credit card no. Now - automatic renewals at $200 or whatever they get. There are a million channels but I only listen to a few - Classical (the only one), opera (the only one), 60s, 70s, Beach Boys, Beatles, Mad Dog's sports channel, 40's junction (swing and pop music from late 40s to 50s (Glenn Miller, Dorsey Bros., Novelty tunes), classic rock, bluegrass, and one other one I can't recall - plus a few local stations. Great for traveling through bad radio areas like Jacksonville, FL where there's literally nothing to listen to.

NutmegCT
07-11-2018, 09:03 PM
Aha! Now you've got me wondering. How can you subscribe to SiriusXM *without* giving them your credit card number?

DavidApp
07-11-2018, 09:33 PM
Do they take PayPal?

Single use credit card. https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0511/a-look-at-single-use-credit-cards.aspx

David

SD Bugeye
07-11-2018, 09:38 PM
I downloaded the amazon music app
I have amazon prime and figure why not use it if you have prime you need to try it
the playlists for a fairly large variety of music is pretty good and there is zero ads just one song after another

Bob McElwee
07-11-2018, 10:10 PM
The reason I have the reminder on the calendar is to call and cancel before the automatic renewal. I got caught for one months dues when my 6 month freebie ended.

HealeyRick
07-12-2018, 07:00 AM
Aha! Now you've got me wondering. How can you subscribe to SiriusXM *without* giving them your credit card number?

When you renew, you tell them you would like them to send you a bill, which you then pay by check. Even if you've been automatically renewed you can call them and ask for the Cancellation Dept. Tell them you want to cancel because the price is too high. They'll then ask if there's anything they can do to keep you. Tell them you'd like the same price as you've already found online. If one rep doesn't give it to you, call back, another one will.

3798j
07-12-2018, 07:21 AM
The reason I have the reminder on the calendar is to call and cancel before the automatic renewal. I got caught for one months dues when my 6 month freebie ended.
If ever you're caught again, just call them. They'll credit your card.

HealeyRick
07-12-2018, 09:59 AM
Glad this was posted. I checked my subscription and it had expired yesterday. My subscription was being renewed at $211. I went to this site https://www.spoofee.com/how-to-get-a-discount-sirius-xm-radio-subscription/deals/732226 and found the lowest renewal was $99 and called to cancel. They originally offered renewal at $130. I told them I had seen renewals for $99 and wanted that rate, which they gave me. Make sure you read the comments on the site as you get an idea what people have been paying over the last couple of days.

pdplot
07-13-2018, 08:59 PM
That's what I was told also. Somehow, I didn't listen. With the new car came a new trial subscription. Time to go to work when it come due in September,