PDA

View Full Version : Sitting in the Vets

Basil
07-03-2018, 05:57 PM
Sitting in the exam room waiting for Doc to come back in to administer the drugs to put our 16yo male Tabby, Squeaky, to sleep. Looks like complete renal failure. I hate days like this.

Gliderman8
07-03-2018, 06:25 PM
Tough day... sorry

Alfred E. Neuman
07-03-2018, 06:32 PM
Sorry to hear that.
It's been 2 1/2 years since we had to put our 13 year old German Shepherd Dog to sleep due to a tumor on his spleen. Hardest thing I've ever had to do. Not sure I'll ever get another dog.
Just know you did the right thing by your friend by not letting him suffer.

Basil
07-03-2018, 06:48 PM
Back home now. His illness came on fairly suddenly. This time last week has seemed perfectly happy and healthy.

Boink
07-03-2018, 07:18 PM
One of the toughest things I've ever done... and have sworn to never do it again (though one more time is in my future in a few years). :(

Alfred E. Neuman
07-03-2018, 08:02 PM
Best way I've ever heard it put:
Our dogs (or cats, or any other pet) bring us the best days of our lives, and one of the worst.

SaxMan
07-03-2018, 08:32 PM
It's never easy and it's one of those things that never gets easier no matter how many times you go through it. I hope the pain of Squeaky's passing will soon fade so that only the happy memories remain.

drooartz
07-03-2018, 09:38 PM
Sorry to hear it, Basil. Tough day indeed.

Basil
07-03-2018, 10:02 PM
Our boy Squeaky

DavidApp
07-03-2018, 11:10 PM
Sorry to hear that Basil.

Our daughter went through it a few weeks ago with their dog.

David

Bob McElwee
07-03-2018, 11:20 PM
Sorry for your lose, Basil. We've had to do it more times than we wish, never easy.

DrEntropy
07-04-2018, 08:49 AM
Sorry to hear this, Basil. Always a miserable thing.

After my lad Merlyn passed (the face in my avatar) I vowed there would be no more pets in the house. Too hard to see them go.

We do have three "occasional" cats, abandoned by neighbors when they left their house to foreclosure. The cats were roaming the 'hood, hungry and skinny, so we've kept them fed and treated. Fred, Ethel and Lucy now.

65_BRG_Sprite
07-04-2018, 08:54 AM
After losing one of my labs a short time back, my vet said quietly that we had no idea how hard it was for him.

Bayless
07-04-2018, 10:57 AM
Sorry to hear Basil. I've been through it too many times so like many of your BCF friends I feel your pain.

PC
07-04-2018, 05:12 PM
What an awesome feline dude.

I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss. My deepest sympathies.

Having been through it very recently ourselves, I know there are no words to describe the feeling.

As much as it hurts to say goodbye, we know that that we were able to make their lives so much better than they might have been.

Take care.

waltesefalcon
07-04-2018, 05:40 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Bas. You have my deepest condolences, it is never an easy thing losing an animal but having to put one down is so terribly hard.

Basil
07-04-2018, 05:41 PM
Thanks all. Appreciate the thoughts.

pdplot
07-04-2018, 08:16 PM
We have no grandchildren - only 4 Grandcats. Daughter has 3, son 1. Can understand your loss.

Bayless
07-05-2018, 10:18 AM
:iagree: A few years ago, when we still had them, my parents would come to visit. We had 2 small dogs at the time. The first thing they both would do was sit down and get a dog in their laps. Only after a suitable amount of puppy patting and such would the "visit" begin. We always figured they really came to visit the grandpuppies anyway. Dang, now I really miss all 4 of them.

Basil
07-13-2018, 11:42 PM
Just went down to the mail box and had a nice surprise - a nice card from the Vet along with a Poem called Rainbow Bridge.

DrEntropy
07-16-2018, 12:01 AM
We will talk...

PAUL161
07-16-2018, 01:10 PM
That's a beautiful poem, since we have three pets, one cat and two little dogs, all girls. Our cat is 17 and gets medication every day for arthritis in her hips, not good, and our Maltese Muffin who has diabetes who gets meds 24/7 for the rest of her life, that poem kinda choked me up a bit. How can you get so attached to your pets? Muffin sleeps against the end of my pillow every night, tears me up to think of her not being there.

Muffin

Basil
07-16-2018, 01:30 PM
That's a beautiful poem, since we have three pets, one cat and two little dogs, all girls. Our cat is 17 and gets medication every day for arthritis in her hips, not good, and our Maltese Muffin who has diabetes who gets meds 24/7 for the rest of her life, that poem kinda choked me up a bit. How can you get so attached to your pets? Muffin sleeps against the end of my pillow every night, tears me up to think of her not being there.

Muffin

Muffin is sure a cutie pie!

Alfred E. Neuman
07-16-2018, 02:03 PM
The Rainbow Bridge poem will definitely make it dusty in the room.
Our vet sent us a card that had a little dog bone shaped piece of cardboard attached to it. If you plant the bone, a flower sprouts out.
Never could bring myself to plant that bone...

Bob McElwee
07-16-2018, 03:03 PM
Someone pointed us to the Rainbow Bridge poem years ago and i've passed it along to others 'in need'. Our vet has made donations to the Missouri U. vet school in memory of our last three.
It's been four years since the last trip to the vets. We are starting to get 'lonely' for a four legged baby. Two things are holding us back right now - it is so much easier to go on vacations and more importantly, any new one that comes in now has a good chance of outlasting us. I have a feeling we're going to relent when we aren't traveling as much.