PDA

View Full Version : TR6 Aluminum trim ring band removal

ichthos
06-19-2018, 10:02 AM
I gave up trying to find NOS aluminum trim rings. To get the ones I have anodized again, I need to remove the metal ring on the inside that holds the ring to the wheel. Anyone know how to do this?
Kevin

Gliderman8
06-19-2018, 10:34 AM
The trim ring is just held in place by some "spring fingers" around the circumference of the ring. You should be able to carefully lever it out with a rage between the ring and the wheel and use a pointed tip to start it coming up.

TR3driver
06-19-2018, 01:16 PM
I think he means how to get the "springy fingers" away from the trim ring. The spring part is steel and the anodizing process will attack (ruin) it.

ichthos
06-19-2018, 02:16 PM
Yes, I was talking about the spring fingers. The process would eat the metal spring fingers, so unless I can figure out a way to remove them, prepping and reanodizing the trim rings is not an option. I am pretty sure I am out of luck at this point as it looks like the spring fingers are held in place by the aluminum being pressed in place over it. I thought someone might have a way to get these out or suggest someone who could.

Gliderman8
06-19-2018, 03:13 PM
Yes, I was talking about the spring fingers. The process would eat the metal spring fingers, so unless I can figure out a way to remove them, prepping and reanodizing the trim rings is not an option. I am pretty sure I am out of luck at this point as it looks like the spring fingers are held in place by the aluminum being pressed in place over it. I thought someone might have a way to get these out or suggest someone who could.
Sorry, I misunderstood the original post.

ichthos
06-19-2018, 08:09 PM
I probably should have included a picture. I always appreciate a response either way.