PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A Engine layup

shoopal
06-12-2018, 05:21 PM
Hi all
The body shop can't get to the car till Sept. Been there since last Sept. Engine just rebuilt. It's been totally drained of coolant since I replaced the water pump and lower hoses. Is it better to leave it dry or to fill it with antifreeze?
how long will gas stay good without stabilizer? What else should I do to protect it?
Thanks for all tips.
Al

DavidApp
06-12-2018, 06:10 PM
With gas you may be better draining it all out and start with fresh when you get ready to start the car. Had a less than good experience with stabilizer. Mind it was a long layup of a generator.

As for fill or not I will leave that to others. My TR3A motor was rebuilt and never run (at least not for more than a few seconds) so I left it dry.

David

TR3driver
06-12-2018, 08:37 PM
I'd leave the coolant dry too. For 3 months, I'd probably just leave the fuel as well. You can always drain it later if it goes bad. I left some regular in Mom's tractor for a year, and it still ran (once I remembered to pull the switch for power to the coil).

charleyf
06-13-2018, 01:32 PM
One other thought is that on the stabilizer bottles it says to only use with fresh fuel.

CJD
06-16-2018, 11:25 AM
One thing I came up with for storage...leave the crank at the TDC mark. That position results in the least compression of all the valve springs. Little thing, but when you’ve done the obvious it adds the icing.