PDA

View Full Version : TR6 Headlight problem

pdplot
06-09-2018, 04:33 PM
Finally got around to plugging in my direction signal indicator light. Works fine. Headlights were also working before I crawled under to plug in the bulb. Now, headlights are dead and ammeter shows no discharge when I pull down on light switch. Did I hit something and disconnect the lights? Fuse box has 4 fuses - all look fine, **** it. Any suggestions? This has never happened before - at least to me. Thanks.

Paul D.

pdplot
06-09-2018, 07:25 PM
Figured it had to be something I did under the dash so I fiddled with the wires and also rotated the fuses in their holders. Lights came back on. More fiddling - they went off again. Then on again. There were also two smaller lights hanging down that did not light when I turned on the instruments lights. Probably go to instruments - but instrument lights work - sorta. If the bulbs are dead, they'll probably have to stay that way - I can't see how anyone could ever get them out of those sockets without breaking them.

Gliderman8
06-09-2018, 08:04 PM
The TR6 had two small bulbs to illuminate the foot wells; it possible that’s what you saw. As for getting to the instrument bulbs- if you remove the ashtray in the dash you can get to most of them.
Also, you might consider a relay for the headlights as it takes the load off of the main light switch on the dash which is a PITA to change.

pdplot
06-09-2018, 09:12 PM
That's probably what they are - at least one, since they are both on short wires on the driver side. I disconnected the buzzer and the lights when I bought the car. Instead, I installed two larger lights on either side of the tunnel activated by a toggle switch in the dashboard (or fascia). I didn't want to have the light stay on while the door was open and run down the battery. The dash rheostat has never worked and since it looks like a PITA to change it out, I just let it be. I've ben very lucky with the electrical system in this car - only one short in the 21 years I've owned it.