PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Cheap trick

neoncow
06-07-2018, 12:09 AM
In order to avoid overtightening the valve cover nuts, I found that cutting a piece of hose the exact length required and slipping it over the studs, the valve cover seals nicely and the top of the cover won't get depressed too far.

TomMull
06-07-2018, 07:14 AM
In order to avoid overtightening the valve cover nuts, I found that cutting a piece of hose the exact length required and slipping it over the studs, the valve cover seals nicely and the top of the cover won't get depressed too far.

Interesting. The next trick will be to find a cover that hasn't already been warped by over-tightening.
Tom

neoncow
06-08-2018, 12:22 AM
Interesting. The next trick will be to find a cover that hasn't already been warped by over-tightening.
Tom

That's exactly why I decided to come up with a solution. After hammering mine back into original, it seemed logical to support it from below. The hose also seals the hole very nicely and keeps oil from creeping up and out.

sp53
06-09-2018, 09:59 AM
I like it, especially the way it seals from the back. I guess you would have to get the size close, but probably just with in a inch to make sure the valve cover gasket works on the outside. I will try it.

Got_All_4
06-09-2018, 10:47 PM
How long did you cut it too?

6TTR3A
06-11-2018, 06:11 PM
Why didn't I think of that ??!!
I went to the trouble of removing the stud, trimming enough threads off to put adequate pressure with a SS acorn nut.
When the acorn nut bottoms out,I know I'm good. A rubber backed flat washer keeps the oil in but I'm going to use your trick anyway.
Frank