PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Strange hole!

Dr_Mike
06-05-2018, 12:33 AM
de ???support for the front wing. It seems to go from nowhere to nowhere,( i,e, from the dead space under the wing to the outside of the glovebox).
ny ideas???

I just had one! A rare event

a PO may have had a radio inn the l\glove compartment space and this could have been for an aerial. Wing had[s no hole, but it could have been eliminated by someone, or by collision. Of which there is other evidence.

Sunny Coast of BC
1960 TR3a
1964 Morris mMinor convertible,
ex 1953 Morris Oxford
ex 1933 Standard 6 cylinder( part owner)

TR3driver
06-05-2018, 12:56 AM
I believe that is right; the factory put the hole there for the aerial lead; even on later cars that didn't have the speaker hole cut into that panel. Normally it's filled with a rubber plug on cars without radios.

DavidApp
06-05-2018, 08:49 AM
I have the same hole and had an antenna hole in the scuttle right above it. As I do not intend to have a radio I welded up the exterior hole.

David

Dr_Mike
06-05-2018, 01:01 PM
THank you both. I wish all my issues could be solved so easily. I will buy a plug and forget all about it.

Michael

TomMull
06-07-2018, 07:25 AM
Dr_Mike and Randall, I haven't heard it called an aerial in 50 years.
Tom

TR3driver
06-07-2018, 10:30 AM
Well, I had just read the installation instructions again, and it calls it aerial. Easier to type than antenna anyway :)

Just for amusement value, here's a shot where you can see both the aerial lead and the speaker wire routed through that hole. My 3A had the speaker hole in the kick panel, which was much too large for any modern car speaker, so I cut the wooden ring to mount a new (circa 1988) speaker.
https://i.imgur.com/GsM7rEQ.jpg