PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 water pump question

DaveC
05-30-2018, 08:49 PM
I'm putting the engine back after replacing main and big-end bearings. After putting the old water pump back, i was in the process of putting the fan belt back on, but found that i couldn't turn the water pump by hand.

I don't recall if the water pump should turn by hand with the fan belt off, and dry. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but would it normally, or is it bound up? The only difference is that there's a new gasket and some permatex but if anything that would make the impellers further from the housing not closer.

dave

TR3driver
05-30-2018, 09:02 PM
There could be some small resistance, but you should still be able to turn by hand; especially with a previously used pump.

I don't know what to suggest the problem is, but definitely worth pulling it back off to see what's what, IMO. Also double-check that something isn't up against the back of the pulley. It runs pretty close to the two (or three) studs; if you've had the studs out there might be one that didn't go back all the way.

DaveC
05-30-2018, 09:53 PM
Thanks, Randall. I'll pull it and see
dave

DavidApp
05-31-2018, 08:44 AM
While you have the pulley off check the fit of the pulley to the shaft. If there is any play (you can move the pulley up and down) consider getting a new pump and pulley.
If it comes apart on the road it will probable ruin your trip.

David

DaveC
05-31-2018, 02:40 PM
Well, it was all my fault. A small amount of permatex had got as far as the impeller and stopped it turning. A good clean and everything is fine.

thanks all

dave