PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A 1954 TR-2 Engine

Redoakboo
05-22-2018, 05:37 PM
I am beginning to take apart the engine in my 1954 TR-2 for a minor overhaul. I have pretty much stripped the engine and I am trying to get the fan, collar and pulley off. I have removed the nuts on the attaching bolts and am trying to take the fan/collar/pulley off. Is there a secret to getting this combo off? I have beat on it for a while, no luck. I don't see a place where you could attach a puller??

O.K. Randall, how do I get it off?

Dick

TR3driver
05-22-2018, 06:36 PM
The fan has to come off first. Should slide right off once you turn the lock tabs and remove the 4 bolts. Pay attention to the weights if any.

Then you'll have to remove the big bolt with the dog for the handcrank. I forget the size offhand, something like 1-1/8". Use a 6 point socket, as the corners are already rounded.

Usually, tapping on the back of the fan mount surface with a brass hammer will walk the pulley assembly off.

If not, I have used a "harmonic balancer puller" (which you can probably rent at OReillys or similar). You'll need a long bolt to go in place of the dog bolt, which you might have to order someplace like MMC or Fastenal. Again I forget the exact size required, something like 5/8 NF by 7" or so. Just match the dog bolt but add 1" or so. The forcing screw of the puller will bear on the head of the long bolt, while the other end gets threaded into the nose of the crank.

You'll also need two ridiculously long 1/4" bolts with nuts and fender washers, to reach from the puller to the holes in the hub. I'm pretty sure you can get the original bolts out with the hub still in place, but I'll admit its been a long time and I'm not sure.

DavidApp
05-22-2018, 11:37 PM
Remember if you remove the head but do not plan on removing the liners you need to clamp the liners to prevent them moving.

David

sp53
05-23-2018, 02:47 PM
So you have the pulley and collar off the car?

Redoakboo
05-23-2018, 07:50 PM
No ai don't . Will try to remove the fan tomorrow, maybe that will loosen things up?

Redoakboo
06-11-2018, 07:43 PM
No ai don't . Will try to remove the fan tomorrow, maybe that will loosen things up?
Came right off, the large bolt 1 5/16" , after I found a socket, was not even tight?

CJD
06-11-2018, 07:49 PM
Should have been tight?

TexasKnucklehead
06-12-2018, 01:04 AM
...not only tight, but isn't there a bent over tab holding it tight?
I suppose that came off when you removed the fan?

TR3driver
06-12-2018, 01:19 AM
Definitely should have been tight; you may find more damage inside. That big bolt is what clamps the pulley hub and the timing gear against the crankshaft, so they can't work back and forth against the key and wear things out.

No bent tab for the big center bolt, just a funky flat washer with a hex cut into it. Mounted in front of the fan, so comes off when you pull the fan off.

Redoakboo
06-12-2018, 09:48 AM
Definitely should have been tight; you may find more damage inside. That big bolt is what clamps the pulley hub and the timing gear against the crankshaft, so they can't work back and forth against the key and wear things out.

No bent tab for the big center bolt, just a funky flat washer with a hex cut into it. Mounted in front of the fan, so comes off when you pull the fan off.

Funky washer was there, came off with the fan.

Dick