PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Windshield frame/doglegs removal

mrv8q
05-16-2018, 11:32 PM
Hey, guys, can I remove the four screws and tap forward and remove the windshield frame and doglegs as one assembly?

if so, looks like I need to pull the wipers and the chrome surrounds around the wipers.

Looking to do a nice wax job.

Thanks in advance.

SASSAMON
05-17-2018, 09:52 AM
Yes you can remove the windscreen as a complete unit by removing the 4 fasteners holding the assembly the the car.

Beware, on early TR3s the "screws" are actualy 1/4 turn Dzus fasteners. Not sure when they changed to screws, could have been at TS60000.

The wiper arms do need to be removed but no further items. The rubber seal at the bottom of the frame will flex over wiper wheel boxes. Just watch while you are moving the assembly.

Roger

Geo Hahn
05-17-2018, 09:57 AM
...looks like I need to pull the wipers and the chrome surrounds around the wipers...

I just remove the wipers -- then ease the rubber seal up over the bezels as the windscreen comes forward.

I can do it solo as I get lots of practice, but the first time it may be stubborn and you will want an assistant to steady it as you remove and lift away.

mrv8q
05-17-2018, 12:54 PM
Excellent, thanks!

TomMull
05-17-2018, 02:50 PM
I found the removal of the screws on my post 60k car to be troublesome. You need a screwdriver that fits the screw slot, a bigger than ordinary size and a little penetrating oil on the inside. The inside nuts are welded to a plate that is spot welded to the scuttle and remain there. One of the screwdriver tips for my impact did the trick. (I used the tip only with a ratchet rather than the impact so I had better control.)
Tom

CJD
05-17-2018, 11:28 PM
Plus, if you have a TR3A, like in your trailer, then remove the screws and just lift upward. Only the early style windscreens need to slide forward.

Geo Hahn
05-18-2018, 09:49 AM
...Only the early style windscreens need to slide forward.

'Early' in this context includes many TR3As. Mine (TS47905) has Dzus fasteners and slides on.

I think the bolt-on stanchions came in with the new body tooling introduced at TS60000.

mrv8q
05-18-2018, 12:01 PM
Yep, CJD is right. Removed the 4 screws, (I had been been here 10 years ago replacing the lower rubber seal) and tapped a few time with a mallet. Everything loosened up and I was able to awkwardly place the windshield frame assembly on the tonneau cover.

Surprised me too... tapping forward but eventually just pulled upwards... 5 minute job.

Thanks to all.

Geo Hahn
05-18-2018, 02:15 PM
Yep, CJD is right. Removed the 4 screws...

So yours was held on with screws and not Dzus fasteners? Now I am unsure of the change point.

CJD
05-18-2018, 04:08 PM
So yours was held on with screws and not Dzus fasteners? Now I am unsure of the change point.

As it is with all changes Triumph makes!?!

mrv8q
05-18-2018, 05:24 PM
Yep, screws not Dzus. Happily, another 5 minute job with the wife’s help reattaching the frame. While I was there I quick tap and die job on the screws and body mounts, so I can do this again in 10 years.

TS58370 is close to the “magic” 60k change point. After all this time I don’t know if there is a TS59999 car. I’m guessing there is a jump from the mid 59XXXs to the 60k cars.

Thanks all for the help!