PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Have I mounted my Yellow fan backwards?

DavidApp
05-15-2018, 09:25 PM
Have I mounted the yellow fan backwards? I mounted it with the flat face towards the motor and the recess to the radiator. When I went to put the radiator on the car there was not enough room to get it in.

David

Geo Hahn
05-15-2018, 10:02 PM
I believe you have it mounted as designed - but some have had to mount it backwards to get it to fit.

On my TR4 I had to mount it backwards and make a spacer (from a cutting board) to make it fit.

Mounting it backwards has (I think) only a small effect on performance (the blades have a slight airfoil). The fan, of course, blows the same way whichever way you mount it.

Marvin Gruber
05-15-2018, 10:20 PM
Turn the fan around the other way for a TR3. Rad should fit them.
Marv

DavidApp
05-15-2018, 11:36 PM
Hello Geo and Marvin

Thank you.

When I looked at The Roadster Factory page showing the fan I could see from the photo I had it the wrong way around. Reversed it and checked that I can get a belt on past the fan. You have to rotate the engine to get the belt past the cross tube but it fits Ok apart from that.

I need to align the crank hole with the radiator hole. I presume I use the shims that go between the mounting block and the engine mounting plate. The rectangular shim with a slot.

David

Geo Hahn
05-16-2018, 09:36 AM
Yes, alignment is via the shims, this shim:

https://i.imgur.com/SslZcSg.jpg

This image may (or may not) print in the correct size (if you choose to make your own):

https://i.imgur.com/mPX3TBG.jpg

DavidApp
05-16-2018, 09:54 AM
Hello Geo

Thank you.

I have a stack of them. Not sure if the PO purchased some or if they came from the car when he stripped it down.

It looks like I will have to put more on one side to move the crank to the center of the radiator. May try centering it by moving the mounting blocks first.
The crank hole is low and off center to the radiator hole.

David

billspit
05-16-2018, 01:40 PM
Turn the fan around the other way for a TR3. Rad should fit them.
Marv

I just looked at these on TRF's website. They say to mount it backwards on the TR3. I wondered why and now I know.

DavidApp
05-16-2018, 10:15 PM
Got the crank handle centered on the radiator. It took 3 shims on one side and one on the other. Also I had to slot the 2 bolt holes in the rubber mounting blocks so that I could shift the motor sideways a fraction.

David

CJD
05-16-2018, 10:40 PM
Got the crank handle centered on the radiator. It took 3 shims on one side and one on the other. Also I had to slot the 2 bolt holes in the rubber mounting blocks so that I could shift the motor sideways a fraction.

David

I think it’s well worth it. Even if you never hand crank, the crank comes in very handy when setting tappets, timing and the like. Much easier than bumping the engine with the starter or cutting your hand spinning the fan.

DavidApp
05-16-2018, 11:39 PM
Also kind of neat being able to start the car the old school way along with all the other advantages.

On my TR2 the crank saver me on many occasions. Back in the late 1960s batteries seem to die slowly. Now they just drop dead with little warning.

David

Geo Hahn
05-17-2018, 11:13 AM
Also kind of neat being able to start the car the old school way...

Always a crowd-pleaser at car shows. It used to be the young who enjoyed seeing that, now anyone under 50 has never seen such a thing.

It does require an engine that fires immediately - oddly, mine is easy to crank-start when cold, not as easy when warmed up and difficult when hot.