PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Spin-On Oil Filter 1954 TR-2

Redoakboo
05-09-2018, 01:59 PM
I am looking to convert to the spin-on filter on my 1954 TR-2. Neither Moss or the Roadster Factory carries the adapter for my Purolator cartridge filter.

Has anyone found a spin-on for a TR-2?

Dick

pa297pass
05-09-2018, 02:10 PM
The TRF catalog for "High Performance Components" lists a spin on filter adaptor for the Purolator Filter Head: TRFEL402

Here is a link to the catalog page: https://trf.zeni.net/webcatalog/specials11.26/23.php?s_wt=1366&s_ht=768

Matt

TR3driver
05-09-2018, 02:13 PM
No, and I don't think you will either. The TR2 and early TR3 used a bypass style filter head, where the filtered oil gets dumped back in the pan.

My suggestion (and what I did) is to find a later "full flow" filter head (where the filtered oil feeds the oil gallery) and use that for your spin-on conversion.

If you jump quick, here's both on flea-bay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-TR3-TR3A-TR3B-Oil-filter-housing-and-spin-on-adapter/112978600104?hash=item1a4e0ca0a8:g:qIQAAOSwKiZa75Z g

TR3driver
05-09-2018, 02:19 PM
The TRF catalog for "High Performance Components" lists a spin on filter adaptor for the Purolator Filter Head: TRFEL402

Here is a link to the catalog page: https://trf.zeni.net/webcatalog/specials11.26/23.php?s_wt=1366&s_ht=768

Matt
Anyone care to bet whether it will actually fit the bypass filter head? I spent a long time going around this tree with Moss a lotta years ago; looks like TRF was taken in by the same lies from the adapter supplier (Mocal).

TR3driver
05-09-2018, 02:28 PM
There was even some argument back in the 40s & 50s as to whether a filter was required at all. My first car had a "stove bolt" Chevy 6 where the canister filter was actually optional, and also fed back to the pan. If you didn't get the option, they just put plugs (pipe plugs naturally) in the holes!

Times sure have changed.

PS, though I've never owned one, ISTR being told the Model A Ford didn't come with an oil filter. It at least had an oil pump, Model T didn't even have that!

Lou Metelko
05-09-2018, 06:26 PM
Dick:
Can I ask what is wrong with the stock canister? I have changed my canister equipped TR2 twice a year for fifteen years!

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana
54 TR2LD TS981L

CJD
05-09-2018, 11:43 PM
I agree with Lou. With a canister you have the opportunity to study the filter at each change to look for metal or other debris signalling a problem before the engine quits or worse. Few take the time to cut open a spin on filter to do the same...and if you do bother to cut it open, it’s messier than the canister.

Of course, most don’t care and just figure changing the oil regularly is enough.

groupdeville
05-10-2018, 10:10 AM
While on the California Melee in a friend's '55 TR2 (on a backwoods dirt road up in the mountains and very far from a parts store or towing location), we had a rock thrown up by the front wheels put a hole in the thin metal side of a spin-on conversion filter element, causing an oil leak that would have gradually emptied the sump of most of its oil. And, even if somehow we noticed the leak before the oil pressure went catastrophically low, we didn't have a spare filter and six quarts on oil on board (silly us...).

Fortunately, we soon ran (softly) down off the road into a leaf covered dirt embankment, and the leak was noticed while 7 or 8 other rally participants were helping us lift the front end of the car back up onto the road. With donated extra oil, we were able to make it the 30 or 40 miles to the NAPA store down in Garberville just before closing and bought supplies - though it meant abandoning the rally route for the remainder of the day.

When I got home, the spin-on adapters came off of my two TRs, and I've removed them from 2 or 3 TRs and a Morgan owned since then. The stock Triumph filter housing is around 1/16" thick and much less vulnerable to road damage. It it leaks, new rubber seals are available, or the center bolt can be tightened. A "stubby" 9/16" ratcheting "gearwrench" (or similar, available at FLAP store) makes it easier to loosen or tighten the housing bolt, and the wrench can live in the glovebox with your corkscrew and church key.

Standard-Triumph engineers knew what they were doing when the specified the sturdy original oil filter housing....

Redoakboo
05-11-2018, 11:37 PM
Thanks Randall,

I won the bid.

Dick