PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A Windshield

KVH
04-29-2018, 01:53 AM
Iím trying to remove my windshield and those brackets under the dash are frozen so tight. I canít recall if thereís a trick? Heat gun? penetrating oil? Wish a tie rod popper would work.

JerryVV
04-29-2018, 08:30 AM
Have you loosened all of the clamp bolts? Keep in mind there is one on the fender side which shows up when you open the door. Once they are all loose you can expand the clamp with a small pry bar and pull up and out. Hope that's all you're dealing with.

trglory
04-29-2018, 11:03 AM
No trick, just be patient and methodical. The brackets have nuts tack welded to the back of them. When I was doing this job I found that the tack weld had broken on one of the nuts. It took me a while to understand that I was not loosening the bolt, I was just spinning the nut.

Popeye
04-30-2018, 12:02 PM
If I recall, a BFH was my friend. One side freed up nicely, the other was a pain. I put a nut on the end of the stud to protect the stud, and gently but firmly banged away at it. Penetrating oil, heat, and time are your friends, along with the hammer.

Obviously make sure all bolts are removed first. I may have run a thin metal scraper under the seal to make sure it was completely separated.

Geo Hahn
04-30-2018, 09:30 PM
...Obviously make sure all bolts are removed first...

Unless you are standing in the car (glass out) yanking up on the windscreen frame - in which case you may want the nuts on the posts loosely installed so you don't go through the roof.

Am I correct in thinking you can completely remove the brackets and twist them to free up the posts (or maybe that is what everyone is already talking about).

Popeye
05-01-2018, 09:41 AM
Unless you are standing in the car (glass out) yanking up on the windscreen frame - in which case you may want the nuts on the posts loosely installed so you don't go through the roof.

Am I correct in thinking you can completely remove the brackets and twist them to free up the posts (or maybe that is what everyone is already talking about).

Excellent point on the nuts in place to keep things from flying, Geo.

And I do not believe you can twist the brackets; I believe they are bolted flat to the body....?? But my memory isnít that great, and my TR body has been at the painter for too long, so I canít easily check.