PDA

View Full Version : New overhead lighting

Basil
04-17-2018, 12:57 PM
I just picked up this Winplus LED Ceiling Light at Costco for $24. At 1600 Lumins it produces as much light as a 100w incandescent bulb but is only 22w. (Per Energy.gov (https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/save-electricity-and-fuel/lighting-choices-save-you-money/lumens-and-lighting-facts) ). I installed this in our utility / wash room. Features:

- Plenty bright for most applications

- Can adjust the light from 10% to 100% in 10% increments (or you can select min or max power)

- Built in motion sensor and timer.
- Motion Sensor sensitivity can be set to tell it how close you must be to turn the light on. I have it set in the utility room so that it turns on as soon as you are in the doorway.
- Timer that you set that tells you how long the light stays on when no motion is detected. I have it set for 1 minute since I'm usually moving while in there. 30 seconds before it goes out, the light goes to half power to let you know it's going out soon.
- Can adjust the light temp from a cool 2700K to a warm 5000k
- Has night mode that will keep power at 50% at night
- Has ambient light mode that, when set, will prevent the light from going on via motion sensor if the room already has sufficient light.

Conclusion: I'm buying a few more of these for the house!

PAUL161
04-17-2018, 02:06 PM
Basil, what is the highest ceiling it can be mounted on for sensitivity? We have 9 foot ceilings in all but the family room, which is much higher. PJ

Popeye
04-17-2018, 02:23 PM
Neat - thanks for the tip!

I love "warm" (lower K) LED lights. Over the past three years, I have changed all the lights on the first floor of our house. All LED can lights, plus two LED bulbs in the bathroom and entryway. A few weeks ago I installed five 4' strip lights from HD in my 1.5 car garage, and it is BRIGHT inside. I love lots of light. Hope to never replace them... or at least very infrequently.

Basil
04-17-2018, 04:54 PM
Basil, what is the highest ceiling it can be mounted on for sensitivity? We have 9 foot ceilings in all but the family room, which is much higher. PJ

I don't know, but it our ceiling is more than 8 1/2 feet high and I have it set on the least sensitive setting, so I imagine you would have no problem at 9ft.

AngliaGT
04-17-2018, 05:03 PM
What do you do in the laundry room?
Don't you have a Wife for that kind of thing?

(Ducks & runs.....)

TR3driver
04-17-2018, 05:18 PM
FWIW, here is the web page (with a link to the user manual) https://winplus.com/usa/products/led-lighting-home-garage/led-ceiling-light/

But all I could find about sensitivity is that it can be adjusted from "very near" to "very far" :D

Thanks for the heads-up Basil; I'll have to check out the local Costco.

One caution, though: the outdoor motion sensor light I got from Costco a couple of years ago has gone flaky. It frequently locks up and stays on, even during the daytime.

PS, my laundry room is the passage to the garage. I find it annoying when I'm in the garage working, the wife does a load of laundry and she turns off the light. A motion sensor would be an ideal solution to the problem, even though replacing the CFL sorta screws up it's cost savings.

JPSmit
04-17-2018, 06:15 PM
Nice solution - and given this thread https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?112790-One-pill-makes-you-taller! I'm guessing you didn't even need a ladder. :grin:

Basil
04-17-2018, 07:22 PM
Nice solution - and given this thread https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?112790-One-pill-makes-you-taller! I'm guessing you didn't even need a ladder. :grin:

Had to stoop down to install. Kept bumping my head on the ceiling.

JPSmit
04-17-2018, 10:36 PM
Had to stoop down to install. Kept bumping my head on the ceiling.

not surprised - back to the original intent of the thread, thanks for the "heads up." :grin:

Basil
04-17-2018, 10:49 PM
not surprised - back to the original intent of the thread, thanks for the "heads up." :grin:

After buying the first one, I went tp Costco again today and bought two more - one for the Kitchen Pantry and another for the Master Bedroom walk-in closet.

DNK
04-18-2018, 09:46 AM
What are the chances the wind will set it off.
The stairs from my garage to my house I have a 3 way switch motion that the wind outside turns them on.
They also don't work with LEDS so this might work.

EDIT: it's got a remote ?
It doesn't work with the switch?

Basil
04-18-2018, 10:25 AM
What are the chances the wind will set it off.
The stairs from my garage to my house I have a 3 way switch motion that the wind outside turns them on.
They also don't work with LEDS so this might work.

EDIT: it's got a remote ?
It doesn't work with the switch?

Can't answer the first question about wind setting off the motion detector. It can be turned on or off with the light switch like a normal light, but the remote is how you do things like set the light intensity, temperature, and nothing sensitivity, etc.

DNK
04-18-2018, 11:01 AM
Won't work for me
I can't daisy chain the lights as I have 2
Oh well, I'll have to stay with what I have

Basil
04-18-2018, 12:01 PM
Won't work for me
I can't daisy chain the lights as I have 2
Oh well, I'll have to stay with what I have

Sorry about that!

DNK
04-18-2018, 12:04 PM
Don't apologize to me
You didn't build em
:excitement:

Basil
04-18-2018, 01:46 PM
I wish there were smaller models

Basil
04-22-2018, 11:22 AM
Now that I’ve had these for a few days I must say I really like them!

Brooklands
04-24-2018, 05:38 PM
Interesting item. I have one more ceiling fixture to replace in our house, so when it is time, I will look into these. Of course, the Costco won't have them anymore. I have replace every other florescent fixture in our new place, and the only other lights I would consider are inside the garage about 14 feet up. I do not use these bare bulb lights often as the garage door opener lights are more than adequate most of the time.