PDA

View Full Version : TR6 Door installation

ichthos
04-01-2018, 12:58 AM
Hello. I need some help with my doors. I had to remove the passenger side door as it needed a great deal of work. I thought the worst was over until I went to reinstall the door. I traced the hinges before I removed the door. Trying to line up the hinges with the floating bolt plates is frustrating. Does anyone have any tips for reinstalling the door? Any suggestions are appreciated.

TR3driver
04-01-2018, 01:49 AM
You might try the old trick of installing a couple of studs (longer bolts with the head cut off) first, to guide the hinge and hold the plate. After you've installed the other bolts, back the studs out and replace them with bolts.

65_BRG_Sprite
04-01-2018, 10:15 AM
I suppose I'm the only person to not know the above trick: my lesson for the day.

ichthos
04-01-2018, 10:59 AM
Thanks. I will try that idea. I saw a fairly inexpensive car jack that looks like a cradle on Amazon and ordered it. I plan on painting my car once I fix everything to my satisfaction, and this will be good practice.

ed_h
04-01-2018, 11:21 AM
I use a floor jack with a soft pad under the door.

Ed

charleyf
04-01-2018, 01:17 PM
What I do on a car that still has the doors on it and in proper position is to drill two 1/8 inch holes through each door hinge and car body before taking the door off of the car. Then when you go to reinstall the door you use either a nail or a pin to locate the hinge into the old position. The same thing works for the hood hinges on the TR4 and 6. Match your drill size to the pin that you will use for more accuracy.
Edit-- the pin I refer to is a roll pin. Just match your hole the size of the roll pin you use.