PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Which club- VTR or TRA?

Hill Billy
03-27-2018, 02:37 PM
I plan on joining one club. I would like to hear some opinions as to which club is the better one. I was leaning towards VTR but I do like the fact that TRA produced that wonderful document called the judging standard. I have already used it and it cost me nothing.

What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

TR3driver
03-27-2018, 03:00 PM
Kind of depends on what your interests are. IMO VTR is more focused on all aspects of Triumph ownership, including modified cars, all models and camaraderie; while TRA focuses more on strict originality, including concours-type shows, and only for the TR2-4A range of cars.

While I do try to keep my car somewhat close to original in appearance; I do like making small modifications to make it more practical to drive on an every-day basis. (Before I retired, I drove it to work every day unless it was raining or the car was broken.) I'll get flamed for this, no doubt, but I also dislike the snobbery of suggesting that a TR5 (for example), is somehow lesser because it doesn't use the old 4 pot "tractor" motor.

Strictly IMO, YMMV, etc. Hopefully there is room for all in the hobby, those are just my preferences.

PS, I believe the current TRA judging guidelines are no longer "free" to non-members.

PPS, you might want to look into a local club instead of national, like https://www.cptc.org/

Geo Hahn
03-27-2018, 03:18 PM
I have belonged to both from time to time through the years. I recall when TRA was so exclusive even TR4s were not allowed - side screen cars only.

Both do big annual events, TRA is more likely to be held near you as TVR is sort of nationwide whereas TRA considers anything west of Ohio to be out of bounds.

I can't say I got a whole lot out of either but I usually join one or the other when I plan to attend their national event or (in the case of VTR) the western event.

Randall is spot-on re the value of a local club for support and activities. Those also vary of course, but a good one can become a real focal point for your hobby.

My one bit of advice on local clubs - if yours isn't doing the things that interest you (drives, long tours, tech sessions, rallies, autocross, etc) then the solution is to be the person who makes that happen.

Hill Billy
03-27-2018, 05:39 PM
Looks like it'll be VTR for me. I want to get the car as close to totally correct as I can but I'm not into concourse type shows. The car will not be a trailer queen. It will get driven. Plus the closest local VTR club is not far from Carlisle PA and I usually go to the Import there every srping. It will years before we can take it to a show or meet but in the meantime I can get to know some of those members.

Thanks for the input.

trglory
03-27-2018, 07:59 PM
The Central PA Triumph Club has a tent at the Carlisle Import Show every year. Stop by and chat with us for a while. Ask for me, Joe the webmaster. (Thanks for the kind works, Randall.)

Hill Billy
03-27-2018, 08:58 PM
Hey Joe, thanks for the invite. I do plan on being there. All I have to do is remember to find your tent and ask for Joe. Sounds easy enough. But with my memory ya never know.

JerryVV
03-29-2018, 07:33 AM
Join both, it's not all that much $$ and each has it's features. But joining a local club is highly recommended and where you will have a lot of enjoyment with like minded members who enjoy these cars.