PDA

View Full Version : A distinction we could do without.

Basil
03-11-2018, 10:49 AM
In this morning's paper there was a story about Stolen cars in Albuquerque being used to commit other crimes, such as drive by shootings, robberies, etc. The article says that, according to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, the greater Albuquerque area has the "highest per-capita rate of auto thefts in the country." Last year there were 7,684 car thefts here. Here's a picture showing locations of auto thefts in just a one week period.

PAUL161
03-11-2018, 11:29 AM
Sounds like there's an element there that needs removing. Seems like it's not just a random thing, too many in a short period, sounds like it might be gang related. Is Albuquerque police force short handed? I have a solution to the problem if their caught, but I've been told that my Medieval thoughts are not proper in our Modern Educated?? society. :rolleyes2: PJ

Gliderman8
03-11-2018, 12:53 PM
I’d be parking my car with a pitbull left inside :rolleye:

judow
03-11-2018, 05:09 PM
Yes to the query of police staffing. Not only is it playing out in crime, to drive the interstates within the city limits is insane. Admittedly I travel about 10 miles over the speed limit just to feel safe. At 65mph, I’m a target of the 80 mph plus drivers. Even the regular streets are typed as go as fast as you can and ignore the rules of the road. During heavy travel I find that the breakdown lane becomes drivable. It’s fairly off-putting if you’re in the right lane. Okay, need to return to mellow status. Must say coming home from Albuquerque via Rt. 66 is very calming, most of the time.

pdplot
03-11-2018, 10:52 PM
My 1984 Audi Quattro was stolen and later recovered. Police told me they use it for drug stuff because when they're caught - as they always are - their car is confiscated, so - they steal yours, steal someone elses's plate and go about their business. Another law with unintended consequences and the reason most airports down in Florida will not rent planes any more.

Basil
03-11-2018, 11:35 PM
My 1984 Audi Quattro was stolen and later recovered. Police told me they use it for drug stuff because when they're caught - as they always are - their car is confiscated, so - they steal yours, steal someone elses's plate and go about their business. Another law with unintended consequences and the reason most airports down in Florida will not rent planes any more.

I've been lucky (so far), but a couple years ago a co-worker had his brand new pickup truck stolen right for our work parking lot in broad daylight! These guys are bold!

Gliderman8
03-12-2018, 07:02 AM
Speaking of cars being stolen, has anyone installed hidden gps tracking devices in their cars?

DavidApp
03-12-2018, 08:14 AM
How do they manage to defeat the high tech keys? I thought the new keys made that very difficult or is that just so you have to visit the dealers to get replacement keys.

David

waltesefalcon
03-12-2018, 09:33 AM
I have always liked the low tech approach to car theft, a battery disconnect and/or a fuel shut off valve.

mikephillips
03-12-2018, 01:33 PM
Get a car with a stick. I understand the stats show they're stolen much less often because most folks these days never learn to drive with one. The had some guy here get carjacked in a parking lot last summer and the two guys who did it couldn't get out of the lot before the police the owner called arrived. Granted it probably wouldn't stop a professional thief looking for a specific make/model, but the causal crook looking for a ride may leave it alone.

judow
03-14-2018, 02:52 PM
Get a car with a stick. I understand the stats show they're stolen much less often because most folks these days never learn to drive with one. The had some guy here get carjacked in a parking lot last summer and the two guys who did it couldn't get out of the lot before the police the owner called arrived. Granted it probably wouldn't stop a professional thief looking for a specific make/model, but the causal crook looking for a ride may leave it alone.

Yup, sticks are for more than starting fires or walking.

DrEntropy
03-14-2018, 03:08 PM
I have always liked the low tech approach to car theft, a battery disconnect and/or a fuel shut off valve.

I've both on the Lotus cars. One of the many unlabeled switches on the dash is for the fuel pump and the battery cutoff is in the trunk. It'd take a Jerr-Dan or similar to steal it... by the time the truck would be in position there would be some loud reports and some small holes in stuff. "Be careful what you shoot at, Ryan. Some things in here don't react well to bullets."