PDA

View Full Version : Dishwasher Went Goofy

PAUL161
01-31-2018, 01:18 PM
Last night after dinner the wife turned on the dishwasher and all went well, for about 5 minutes and then it started to drain and wouldn't stop the cycle! It kept turning off and on by itself and wouldn't stop. This is a 5 year old Kitchen-aid, all I could think of was over a 1000 bucks for this thing and now I've got to get it fixed, OR replace! $$$! Since it didn't complete the first cycle, detergent was scattered in it, so the wife started cleaning it inside while I'm looking for parts and/or someone to repair it, my wife said, Look At This! She found a cashew nut caught under the floating drain senser. I had it unplugged so I plugged it back in and told her to see if it would work, knowing that it isn't my luck to get off so easily! Well, it started and worked perfectly through a normal cycle! Talk about getting off cheap! Just made my day! :encouragement: PJ

waltesefalcon
01-31-2018, 01:44 PM
I like cashews.

DavidApp
01-31-2018, 01:49 PM
Building our house 30+ years ago we were disusing the kitchen layout and the dishwasher location came up. I said do we need one as we are raising 2 dishwashers. It was some minutes before my wife and the guy helping build the house stopped laughing long enough to tell me we had to have a dishwasher.

They proved to be correct in their assessment.

On our second machine. We have a Bosch now.

David

waltesefalcon
01-31-2018, 02:04 PM
If you spread out the births of your dishwashers you will find that as one move away another one is there to take the last one's place.

Basil
01-31-2018, 03:19 PM
Building our house 30+ years ago we were disusing the kitchen layout and the dishwasher location came up. I said do we need one as we are raising 2 dishwashers. It was some minutes before my wife and the guy helping build the house stopped laughing long enough to tell me we had to have a dishwasher.

They proved to be correct in their assessment.

On our second machine. We have a Bosch now.

David

Bosch is what we have too - been running like a champ for 18 years with only need to occasionally clean the filter.

PAUL161
01-31-2018, 04:41 PM
Well thank goodness it wasn't the washers fault and funny thing is, the wife rinses the dishes before putting them in. Found out 1 nut can mess up the works! That applies to a lot of things! LOL!

HealeyRick
01-31-2018, 05:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TA3c1YqCiI

AngliaGT
01-31-2018, 07:15 PM
A local newspaper had this hilarious column about his KitchenAids.

www.roanoke.com/news/dan-casey/casey-glad-to-get-rid-of-my-kitchenaid/article-41c98f51-7993-56b0-823c-dd6a4642cf2d.html (https://www.roanoke.com/news/dan-casey/casey-glad-to-get-rid-of-my-kitchenaid/article-41c98f51-7993-56b0-823c-dd6a4642cf2d.html)

DrEntropy
01-31-2018, 08:03 PM
mehheh. One lousy cashew nut...

that machine is a whimp, Paul!

We had a neighbor a few decades ago who would: A) never eat leftovers, B) never pre-rinse dishes and C) stub out his apres dinner cigarette butts in his uneaten food. Their dishwasher (no remembering the brand) faithfully functioned on the diet for a couple years. I was amazed at his slovenly habits, but hey, "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness", Right? When the poor machine finally refused to drain, we opened it up. Pump was FULL of cellulose fibers. Cleared that out and it worked fine the rest of the time they lived there.

We got a GE dishwasher second hand in 2000, it worked for about a decade. It now acts as a storage cupboard for mainly excess kitchen utensils and containers. With just me 'n Mits, dishes are no chore. I hand wash as we finish prep and after meals. Quick, easy and CHEAP.

I spend th' schekels for a replacement on CAB instead! :smirk:

Bayless
02-01-2018, 11:45 AM
We got a Bosch almost exactly 18 years ago too. Also a Bosch stackable washer and dryer but only about 10 years ago. All fine machines.

Basil
02-01-2018, 11:50 AM
We got a Bosch almost exactly 18 years ago too. Also a Bosch stackable washer and dryer but only about 10 years ago. All fine machines.

We also have a Bosch stove.

PC
02-01-2018, 02:08 PM
A local newspaper had this hilarious column about his KitchenAids.

www.roanoke.com/news/dan-casey/casey-glad-to-get-rid-of-my-kitchenaid/article-41c98f51-7993-56b0-823c-dd6a4642cf2d.html (https://www.roanoke.com/news/dan-casey/casey-glad-to-get-rid-of-my-kitchenaid/article-41c98f51-7993-56b0-823c-dd6a4642cf2d.html)

Sadly, as the author of the article found, industry shuffling and badge engineering has made it difficult to know just what you're getting behind the nameplate. These days you have to do some research or take what you get.

About 15 years back we swapped out our house's builder installed appliances. They were all low to mid priced Whirlpool and with cheesy build quality but adequate performance and had been reliable. The dishwasher was horribly loud but at least it hadn't broken.

The replacements were a mixed bag.

Bosch dishwasher. Made somewhere in Europe, forget where. Bought it because of their reputation for quiet. Not disappointed. We've been able to peacefully watch TV in the adjacent family room ever since. It did break about a year ago. Just the on/off button. Not even the electrical switch behind the button, just the plastic cap. Easy, cheap fix.

GE microwave/convection/vent hood. Good unit, very happy with operation. Two annoyances, though. Plastic louvered fascia grill held on by teeny, tiny plastic tabs. Broke twice. Easy to replace but there's little excuse. Only the smallest amount of extra material in two spots of the mold would have prevented the problem entirely. And the door handle was only anchored by one screw at the top. The unit is made to be mounted at eye level, so you always grab that handle at the bottom. Thus it flexes ever so slightly every time you open the door. Eventually fatigued and failed. Again, relatively simple fix, but it should have never happened in the first place. All they had to do was invert the design and anchor it at the bottom (or better yet, both).

Bosch oven. Made in Italy. Unit functioned well. Never any complaints about cooking performance. My only complaints were about the digital display. Resetting the clock was annoyingly non-intuitive (even for someone who never had problems setting VCR clocks). And the stupid thing wasn't bright enough to see in the daytime.

Bosch cooktop. Made in USA. Imagine that. Turns out Bosch had gotten into the American cooker business by buying a US company. (Thermador IIRC, but I cant remember for sure. I did see the exact same unit with the American company's nameplate back then when we were shopping.) What a piece of JUNK! First off, right out of the box it didn't work. Great, a unit shipped from the factory with non-functioning igniters. Idiots. The local factory service guy was good, though. I had to bring it in to him but at least he got it working straight away. The precision of assembly was awful. The valves were each pointing in a different direction and required completely different torque to operate. The ceramic coating wasn't fired correctly or something and spots just flaked off. I was soooooo glad to get that piece of @#$%^ out of my life when we did the remodel a few months ago. And did I mention that the silicone feet on the burner grates had to be replaced constantly?

At the remodel a few months ago we replaced the microwave/convection/vent with a Kitchenaid. I probably would have gone with another GE since I knew its quirks and was at least happy with its performance. But our new cooktop has higher output burners, the KA was specified for higher vent flow and I wanted as much airflow as I could get. Time will tell but early indicators aren't hopeful. Out of the box it was obvious the KA was sourced from some unknown offshore factory. The build quality is very poor and what little inadequate instructions were included were in pathetically bad Engrish. The whole thing reeks of cheesy import trash. I made sure to buy and store away extra backsplash tiles. If/when the thing craps out I'll just replace it, which would mean we'd have to re-do big sections of backsplash.

PAUL161
02-01-2018, 03:45 PM
The wifes range and ovens are Electrolux and she loves them. The oven has roller racks and can be moved smoothly with very light pressure, a 25 pound turkey just glides on them. Their made very well. Couldn't buy a Electrolux dish washer at the time. PJ

Mickey Richaud
02-01-2018, 04:34 PM
Miele dishwasher here. Not cheap, but you can barely hear it running, and it cleans beautifully.

https://blog.designerappliances.com/miele-dishwasher-reviews/

Basil
02-01-2018, 06:20 PM
Has anyone tried Fisher and Paykel appliances? A friends has one of their dishwashers that is a drawer type. Two drawers that pull out, one for smaller loads, or you can use the other for larger loads or both.

NutmegCT
02-01-2018, 06:45 PM
Next door neighbors got a F&P split level dishwasher several years ago. Leaks, motor, seals, have been repaired or replaced once or twice a year.

If I recall, they're at the bottom of the list in Consumer Reports reliability ratings. Ratings not high at Amazon either.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=node%3D3741271&field-keywords=fisher+paykel

SD Bugeye
02-01-2018, 07:02 PM
I have a fisher paykel 2 Door quite works great

PC
02-01-2018, 07:02 PM
On a side note, F&P acquired a local manufacturer here in SoCal.

They shuttered the plants, laid everybody off and shipped all production and product development to Asia.

Basil
02-01-2018, 07:10 PM
Next door neighbors got a F&P split level dishwasher several years ago. Leaks, motor, seals, have been repaired or replaced once or twice a year.

If I recall, they're at the bottom of the list in Consumer Reports reliability ratings. Ratings not high at Amazon either.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=node%3D3741271&field-keywords=fisher+paykel

Hmmm, well that's a shame. I like the concept.

PAUL161
02-01-2018, 07:45 PM
When we had the cabinets custom made for the kitchen, the wife had them make a special cabinet for the dish washer so it sets 15" above the floor. She can load it without bending down to the floor, everyone who has seen it said it's a wonderful idea. Looks nice also. Never seen one where it sets on a pedestal like some washing machines have, be easy in the manufacturing process. :rolleyes2: PJ

SD Bugeye
02-01-2018, 08:16 PM
I have run one drawer everyday for the last going on 8 -9 years
‘the other May get used on holidays or days with company
l like not bending over a door hanging into the kitchen at ankle height
still silent clean dish’s not a single problem

glemon
02-02-2018, 02:14 AM
The raised dishwasher is a great idea, even better as my wife and approach 60. I assume they set them low so the top will match countertop height, and countertop being at a premium in many kitchens, that makes sense too.

We had a Maytag in the house we built 25 years ago, it worked well but was noisy. The pump went out after about 20 years. After doing some research and with the help of the wonders of YouTube I replaced it for about $200 for the new one. Job was not that hard, and it worked fine for the next couple years til we moved out.

PAUL161
02-02-2018, 09:17 AM
In raised cabinet.

DavidApp
02-02-2018, 10:44 AM
With cabinets in mind it reminded me of my oven saga.

When we built the house we went with a 27" built in oven . Seemed big enough 30+ years ago.
After 2 gas ovens, the second so flimsy the box it cam in seemed to be more robust than the oven. That oven never cooked well. I went looking for a replacement oven. Wanted an electric Convection oven. Miele was the only 27" electric oven and it was VERY expensive. While reviewing the specs my wife noticed that the oven cavity was the same size as the microwave. She commented that it would be a Christmas chicken not turkey.
So I decided that the cabinet would have to be replaced so a 30" oven would fit. As the oven enclosure was on the end and there was space it seemed all I had to do was move a light switch and find an oven.
The following week I went by a n appliance store where we got almost everything in the kitchen. Small store not a Big box store. Looking around I found a Bosch oven that matched my requirements and it was on clearance. A $2500.00 oven for $500.00 what a deal.
Got it home and with a struggle got it off the truck. It was heavy, really heavy.
Now I need a cabinet, no problem I thought just call the guy that did the kitchen. He was too busy to do a single cabinet. That was the answer at most places I called. Or the door molding was not available these days?
Finnaly I visited a cabinet store with a door and the oven dimensions in hand. While waiting to speak to the sales person I noticed they had exactly the same door style on display. Talking to the sales person they said "single cabinet is going to be expensive and we will have to work it in". After several rounds of this I finnaly got my check book out and said " I need a cabinet how much do I need to put on this check to get one"
It was not as bad as I was imagining and it matches almost exactly.

8 years later the Bosch is still doing great but has required several repairs which I have been able to do myself. The parts place say that Bosch are less than helpful as they never fail. My oven was built in Italy so that may be why I have had to fix a few things.

David

NutmegCT
02-02-2018, 10:51 AM
You know, as I read through this (amazingly long) thread, I keep thinking that back in the 1950s and 1960s, stoves, ovens, refrigerators, dishwashers, etc. didn't seem to break down nearly as much as they seem to be doing these days. We have lots of bells and whistles, conveniences and "gee look at this!" features - but reliability seems a bit shaky.

My neighbor with the Fisher and Paykel split level dishwasher reports that every few months when the serviceman comes over to fix it, he comments how easy it is to get inside.

oy

Bayless
02-02-2018, 11:08 AM
When we were studying new construction a few years ago to get ideas for our "on-going" remodel, raised dishwashers were fairly popular. A really good idea but wouln't work in our kitchen.

Basil
02-02-2018, 12:08 PM
When we were studying new construction a few years ago to get ideas for our "on-going" remodel, raised dishwashers were fairly popular. A really good idea but wouln't work in our kitchen.

It does make sense from an ergonomics standpoint. Would not work for our kitchen either, unless we wanted to give up valuable counter space.

elrey
02-03-2018, 12:28 PM
About 14yrs ago I installed the cabinets for an all Gagginau kitchen with an elevated dishwasher next to a sink/counter. The quietest dishwasher at the time. That's it, the only elevated standard dishwasher I have seen in many yrs of finish install. I'm glad to hear about yours. My back is questionable and I can certainly appreciate the positive effect of such placement. There was much discussion involved as to the sideways twist action involved and the drip factor when loading but the lady of the house insisted on it and two dishwashers later she and her truly fortunate husband are still enjoying it. She is French/Vietnamese and one of the best cooks ever! Being a guest at their dining table with the large lazy susan in the middle is like dying and going to heaven (without the dying part)!

PAUL161
02-03-2018, 01:02 PM
This is the second dishwasher I had installed elevated for the wife, we had it in our last house also. My wife who has suffered with a bad back, forever it seems, can not bend down to load a dishwasher with the door on the floor, reason for our setup and it was a blessing for her, me to in fact. I would recommend it for anyone who has the room to do it. Even if you don't have back problems, the convenience is rewarding. :encouragement: PJ

Basil
02-03-2018, 01:04 PM
About 14yrs ago I installed the cabinets for an all Gagginau kitchen with an elevated dishwasher next to a sink/counter. The quietest dishwasher at the time. That's it, the only elevated standard dishwasher I have seen in many yrs of finish install. I'm glad to hear about yours. My back is questionable and I can certainly appreciate the positive effect of such placement. There was much discussion involved as to the sideways twist action involved and the drip factor when loading but the lady of the house insisted on it and two dishwashers later she and her truly fortunate husband are still enjoying it. She is French/Vietnamese and one of the best cooks ever! Being a guest at their dining table with the large lazy susan in the middle is like dying and going to heaven (without the dying part)!

I had to look up Gagginau. Never heard of them, but sounds like good stuff. I thought it was one of those esoteric decorating terms, like "Feng Shui."

JPSmit
02-03-2018, 04:37 PM
I had to look up Gagginau. Never heard of them, "

Me either, I though it was French for "choke on water"

elrey
02-03-2018, 05:01 PM
J.P. you are close. If my memory still serves, I believe it is German for "choke on the bill".

SaxMan
02-03-2018, 05:17 PM
Anyone ever put dish soap as opposed to dishwashing detergent in their dishwasher by accident? I did, years ago. I had no idea what was going on until I saw my daughter squatting down and looking like she was playing with something in the kitchen. When I went to investigate what she was up to, the whole kitchen was covered with suds! It's times like those that make you thankful that you have a wet vac.

JPSmit
02-03-2018, 11:44 PM
J.P. you are close. If my memory still serves, I believe it is German for "choke on the bill".

Oh right, my mistake, I missed the there is no accent in the spelling. :yesnod: