PDA

View Full Version : TR6 Lower A-arms

ceedub
10-29-2017, 01:14 PM
I am helping a friend with the assembly of his refurbished front suspension on his TR6. He's not sure if he got the lower A-arms in the correct position. I have done a little reading to find that some say there is no difference between the lower A-arms so you can't put them on backwards to those who say there is a difference and make sure you have labelled well when disassembling the suspension so that you put them on the correct way (assuming DPO had them on correct in the first place). Assuming there IS a difference I cannot find any literature to describe what in fact the difference is or where to find the differences. Can any of you weigh in on this dilemma so that we can sleep well that we have in fact assembled this lower A-arm assembly correctly. Thanks in advance.

Gliderman8
10-29-2017, 01:46 PM
Going from memory I believe the A-arms are marked "inner" and "outer".
Its been a long time since I worked on them so hopefully someone else will help.

SASSAMON
10-29-2017, 01:47 PM
ceedub,

The lower wishbone arms are a set of two pieces, a front and a rear piece. They are identical between the driver and passenger side.

Installation goes:
Studs up
Studs closest to the tires

To visualize lay them out on a flat surface.

Best of luck with the TR6

ceedub
10-29-2017, 03:33 PM
There does not appear to be any markings on any of them. Still wondering, Sassamon, how you tell the front from the rear piece?

SASSAMON
10-29-2017, 04:46 PM
ceedub,

Here is a set of lower wishbone arms for sale on ebay. They are layed out in the picture as they would be in the car.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Reconditioned-Front-Suspension-Lower-Control-Arm-Triumph-TR4A-TR5-TR250-TR6/322818530266?hash=item4b297bdbda:g:oDoAAOSwED5Z3XX 1&vxp=mtr

The A arms or wishbone arms got their nick names from their shape. The left arm will have a bend at the fulcrum end to the right and a bend to the left at the trunion end, The right arm will have the bends in the opposite directions so that when the arms are installed they form what looks like an A or wishbone.

Tr6easyrider
10-29-2017, 06:20 PM
https://www.scribd.com/doc/842185/Front-Suspension-Rebuild
ceedub, the studs should be down and closest to the frame.

SASSAMON
10-29-2017, 06:49 PM
Tr6easyrider, ceedub,

Please accept my apologies for the mis-information. Tr6easyrider is correct. Please ignore my comments.

Tybalt
10-29-2017, 09:40 PM
There are two different lower wishbone arms, one is is used for RH forward and LH rear, the other for LH forward and RH rear. References to RH and LH are from the rear of the car and well, forward and rear are kind of self explanatory. Like Tr6easyrider said, the studs should be oriented down and closest to the frame and the inboard fulcrum brackets. Look at the pictures that Tr6easyrider linked and look at your parts, it should allow you to make sense of the lower arm layout.

I would further suggest that you use some sort of plastic or rubber plug in the stud hole on the top side of the arm to minimize water intrusion. It won't guarantee that the stud doesn't become hopelessly corroded into place, but it at least reduces the chances of that happening.

ceedub
10-29-2017, 10:01 PM
Thanks everyone. I think he has it correct and the ebay pics were perfect for peace of mind.