PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Water pump/Engine mount advice

mrv8q
08-07-2005, 04:53 PM
Hello, listers, I need some advice on my water pump removal. Can I remove the pump without removing the pulley? The manual doesn't seem too clear to me on this. ( I'm impelled to look at my impeller, for some reason.) Can I just back out the 2 nuts and 1 Bolt, and pull off the pump? (I realize the bolt will not clear the pulley). Or, since the WP seems to be working fine, should I not disturb it?

Along a similiar vein, can I replace engine mounts by just jacking up the engine up enough to clear the threads on the mount itself? TIA. Kevin '59 TR3A 58370

trrdster2000
08-08-2005, 06:54 AM
mrv8q, on the water pump, you are correct, it will come off without pulling the pulley, but the old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it comes to mind on that.
The engine can be jacked up to replace the mounts and there is a couple of but's, first off if you use the oil pan as your jacking point, be sure to use a good size block of wood between the jack and the pan, one and a half by six, about a foot long. Now the other butt, or pain in the, is the exhaust manifold, if you have a real tightly bolted up exhaust pipe when you jack the engine up it willl break the cast manifold, so it being the pain of doing this job, just check there is no strain of this part. Wayne

Geo Hahn
08-08-2005, 10:40 PM
As noted, you can remove the pump with the pulley in place but you will have to (for one bolt) turn the bolt a bit, move the pump forward, turn the bolt some more, etc until it is off with that bolt trapped between pump and pulley.

I prefer to pull the pulley... easy to do smoothly and w/o mashing the radiator with this:

https://www.cybertrails.com/~ahwahnee/waterpump.JPG

BTW: there have been been some new water pumps on eBay recently that have a functioning grease zerk, removable pulley and the deep-vaned non-ferrous impeller... i.e. very like the originals. I got one but am carrying it as a spare for now (had to use my spare a few weeks ago).