PDA

View Full Version : positive to negitive ground

JUST B CRUSIN
12-29-2002, 02:00 AM
I have misplaced the article I had on converting your cars positive ground system, to negitive ground so you can add such items like cd changers, radios ect. I recall a change in electric fuel pumps and a possable re-wire connection for the tach. Has anybody done this, or has an idea where I can find this procedure.I
looked in BCF search with no luck. any suggestions/sites so that I can print it up for reference.

JUST B CRUSIN
67 SPRITE
74 MGB

Basil
12-29-2002, 02:14 AM
Check this post. (https://www.britishcarforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000190) graemlins/crazy.gif

JUST B CRUSIN
12-29-2002, 02:49 PM
Thanks Basil, that site says it all. I printed It up for use in spring. As we have about 10-12 inches of snow on the ground in NE Ohio right now.
The Sprite and MGB are in for a long winters nap.
But when I wake up the Sprite It's going to have a remote CD player. One question! will the engine run backwards with a change in polarity graemlins/crazyeyes.gif
Just kidding!!!! Thank You...

JUST B CRUSIN
67 SPRITE
74 MGB

Basil
12-29-2002, 02:54 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JUST B CRUSIN:
Thanks Basil, that site says it all. I printed It up for use in spring. As we have about 10-12 inches of snow on the ground in NE Ohio right now.
The Sprite and MGB are in for a long winters nap.
But when I wake up the Sprite It's going to have a remote CD player. One question! will the engine run backwards with a change in polarity graemlins/crazyeyes.gif
Just kidding!!!! Thank You...

JUST B CRUSIN
67 SPRITE
74 MGB<hr></blockquote>
One thing Im grateful for on my Jag is that it is new enough (67) to have a Negative ground. Some of the earlier Jags (like the XK120 I used to have) had positive ground.

carrottop
12-29-2002, 10:38 PM
How can you easily tell if you currently have a positive or negative ground?

Thanks,

Eric

Basil
12-29-2002, 11:13 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by carrottop:
How can you easily tell if you currently have a positive or negative ground?

Thanks,

Eric<hr></blockquote>

Look at your battery connections. If you have negative ground, the lead comining from the (-) side of the battery will connect usually somewhere on the engine block. For positive ground, the (+) side of the battery will be connected to the block.

Basil

JUST B CRUSIN
12-29-2002, 11:20 PM
The positive side of the battery is connected to the body of the car via battery cable to the firewall, and the negitive side cable to the solinoid. I have not a clue as to why early cars were done this way but a lot of us with pos+ ground systems change it because of the need to add accessories ie: radios , CD players ect. Without the use of power converters that are to costly and usually bulky and hard to hide in limited space.

JUST B CRUSIN

JUST B CRUSIN
12-29-2002, 11:20 PM
The positive side of the battery is connected to the body of the car via battery cable to the firewall, and the negitive side cable to the solinoid. I have not a clue as to why early cars were done this way but a lot of us with pos+ ground systems change it because of the need to add accessories ie: radios , CD players ect. Without the use of power converters that are to costly and usually bulky and hard to hide in limited space.

JUST B CRUSIN