PDA

View Full Version : Veteran's Memorial

Basil
04-14-2017, 11:12 PM
Wife and I were out tooling around town and stopped by the Veteran's Memorial that is just outside the base.

Some pictures: https://flic.kr/s/aHskXVKH86

NutmegCT
04-15-2017, 07:44 AM
That is a *very* moving memorial.

What's the significance of the vertical pole surrounded by the tan colored grass, in that last photo?

Gliderman8
04-15-2017, 08:05 AM
Nice photos. I enjoyed seeing the Merchant Marine memorial.
The town I grew up in (Kings Point, NY) is where the Merchant Marine Academy is located. As a kid I was there all the time playing on their athletic fields.

PAUL161
04-16-2017, 11:57 AM
That is a *very* moving memorial.

What's the significance of the vertical pole surrounded by the tan colored grass, in that last photo?

First, that is a very moving memorial, second, my guess that the tan colored grass represents "Amber Waves of Grain", but it is only a guess. PJ

Basil
04-16-2017, 12:09 PM
First, that is a very moving memorial, second, my guess that the tan colored grass represents "Amber Waves of Grain", but it is only a guess. PJ

Could be. I liked it enough that I may want to find out exactly what type grass it was and do something like that when I get around to doing some landscaping around the house (now that I'm retired, it's on my bucket list).

Tom: I "think" that pole if a light pole for lighting at night. If you look closely near the top of the pole you can see flutes that appear to be for lighting.

GregW
04-16-2017, 03:27 PM
Could be. I liked it enough that I may want to find out exactly what type grass it was and do something like that when I get around to doing some landscaping around the house
That stuff looks like the kindling we have around here. Dry hot weather with a hard breeze will set it off.

GTP1960
04-18-2017, 05:45 AM
the Kollmorgen periscope caught my eye, as I work for the German company that made the U-boat periscopes during WW1 & 2.
Ironically, they now make the periscopes for most, if not all NATO subs.

Basil
04-18-2017, 11:22 AM
the Kollmorgen periscope caught my eye, as I work for the German company that made the U-boat periscopes during WW1 & 2.

That's interesting!

GTP1960
04-18-2017, 03:28 PM
Ironically my dad was a torpedoman, hedgehog gunner on DE's in the Atlantic during 2.

His ships sole mission was to hunt U-boats.

John Turney
04-19-2017, 07:58 PM
Yep, it looks VERY familiar.