PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A tub work and holes

sp53
04-08-2017, 05:04 PM
Well I was very glad to see John’s latest pictures of still fine tuning his paint work because I am at the point where I have the tub bolted down and the doors working and for my first time of putting in new sills and floors having the tub lined and bolted and the doors working is HUGE. Now I know there is a lot more time to fine tuning, I can keep getting closer to a nice pint job, and not to worry about the details because there is still time.

I put some pictures up to show my progress plus ask a question about the 4 holes in the back behind the floor pans in that little roughly 12x12 area that stays with the tub after the pans are out. The holes look stock because of the clean and clear way they were put in. I just cannot see a reason. I know about the holes for the back seat because I have one, but those 4--- one in each corner have me baffled. Perhaps the PO had something there.

And thanks again John because I learned a long time ago as a carpenter apprentice that most the time I am lacking confidence and patients when the job looks impossible. You gave me the push I needed, thanks.
Steve

trglory
04-08-2017, 05:24 PM
My guess would be seat belt mounting points.

CJD
04-08-2017, 06:00 PM
Hey, it's looking really good!

I'm not sure what the holes are for, but they are factory. My '56 donor car also had them:

https://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/cjdurant/cjdurant015/DSC04440.jpg

Sarastro
04-08-2017, 06:23 PM
Drainage?

sp53
04-08-2017, 07:42 PM
Geez John your donor car was nicer than many I have seen for sale on eBay, and yea they all have hidden problems. I like that nail you found in yours. Anyways, I am glad to have those holes verified as factory, now I am really confused. The drainage idea will always work kinda like everything is shim stock, but they sit up on a high spot plus there are the floor plugs for the jack to help drain. I once met a guy who thought the jack plugs were for drainage. I did not say anything, and yeh why not have a dual purpose. I am not sure of the age of this rear clip because I bought on craigslist, but it would be I guess 56 to 59 because of the shape of the pans and it has 4 tail lights. I need to find a 57 to check. I have a 58 I drive, but years ago (1975) I put some 3/16 plate steel for floor pans that I got from a buddy that worked in boat yards; It makes for a quiet ride.

TRMark
04-09-2017, 08:38 PM
My TR4 has them also. Just put in new plugs during restoration.

M_Pied_Lourd
04-10-2017, 09:23 AM
I am not sure, but are they paint drain holes? I know I ordered "paint drain plugs" I believe from TRF. They are white nylon plugs.

Cheers
Tush

charleyf
04-10-2017, 12:08 PM
Tush,
The only place that I have seen the white paint drain plugs originally on the car is on the underside of the rocker panels on a TR3. But if they work in the interior all is good.
Charley

CJD
04-10-2017, 01:15 PM
Also under the rear apron...

TexasKnucklehead
04-10-2017, 05:55 PM
My 59 has them too. I had to go out and pull the carpet and underlayment because I looked thru all my pictures and couldn't find one showing them plugged. My memory was confirmed, sort of. I have rubber plugs in them. I'm pretty sure I got one of those kits from TRF that includes (most) all the rubber plugs needed. What I like about the 'complete kits' is that you don't find yourself in the middle of something, and having to search for some odd sized rubber grommet before work can proceed.

It looks like it might be on page 139 of my parts book, miscellaneous body fittings, 600399. TRF shows them as A/R (as required).

Your car is looking fine. Nice color. The thing I don't like about my light color, is how every spec of dirt under the hood seems magnified. It's impossible to drive without the need to clean under the hood. I can only imagine how difficult white is going to be, but it does look nice.

Tr3aguy
04-10-2017, 06:43 PM
Powdered blue ?? Is there a modern paint code for it?

charleyf
04-11-2017, 12:12 AM
I painted my TR4 powder blue. I was unable to find a code for it so took the inner truck support to the paint supplier and had him use the color on it. He made up the paint for me. If you are interested in the formula I can get it for you. I have had many compliments on the color. I also parked near another powder blue car whose owner said he used the original formula. His car was a very light blue almost to an off white to the blue side.
Charley