PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Oil gun for 'Propeller shaft" lube

RC64
03-30-2017, 07:34 PM
I seem to recall some discussion in the past about the grease gun versus oil gun requirements. The search function didn't cooperate when searching for 'oil gun'. So let me raise the issue again with regard to the guidelines in the manual.

The manual says to use an 'oil gun' to lube the three points on the propeller shaft (R). I've never seen an oil gun that fits a zerk (my experience in the automotive realm is admittedly very limited).

Any suggestions as to how I might properly lube these points with oil? And what type and weight should I use?

If anyone has them, a pointer to those earlier threads on the lube process in general would be most helpful.

Rick...

Geo Hahn
03-30-2017, 07:44 PM
Seems to be some debate. The STC manual (you cite) says 'oil'. The TR3A Practical Hints (owners manual) say 'oil' for the U-joint and 'grease' for the splines. The Haynes manual says 'grease' for all 3.

I have always used the grease gun on all of them. I have to believe that modern grease is superior to anything that was available 60 years ago.

RC64
03-30-2017, 08:28 PM
I have always used the grease gun on all of them. I have to believe that modern grease is superior to anything that was available 60 years ago.

Do you use the same type grease that is used on the rear axle hubs? I just got done replacing an improperly installed inner seal on the right axle so my grease gun is nearly full.

Since I'm 75 and not likely to get another 100,000 miles on the car it's probably not going to matter if I use oil or grease... for me anyway. :smile-new:

RC64
03-30-2017, 08:32 PM
I just located the reference you made to Practical Hints. Thanks!

TR3driver
03-30-2017, 11:34 PM
Ditto on using grease in all 3 driveshaft/propshaft zerks, in spite of what the books say. FWIW the 4A owner's manual says grease for all 3.

However, if you do want to use oil, there is a Mercury Marine grease gun that is designed to take grease in plastic "toothpaste" tubes. Mercury Marine also sells GL4 gear oil (in a special formulation that is specifically safe for copper) in a "toothpaste tube" that will mate with the grease gun. Not perfect, but it will pump oil through a zerk as long as you hold the gun upside down. Then you have to store it the other way (with the tube hanging down) or it will leak.

PS, in case anyone else is wondering about "Practical Hints", it is basically the owner's manual for the TR3/A. You can download a copy of the 6th edition (suitable for late TR3A) from https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H2NJt34OffNjQ4MTkyNjItZTVmYi00M2U2LWJhY WUtMjEyZDgxMzUyNzUw

SASSAMON
03-31-2017, 12:09 AM
Here is the Mercury Marine Grease gun that I use for putting oil into the zerks when the owners manual calls out for oil. 91- 37299A 2 Grease Gun

As mentioned, an 8oz tube of oil will screw right onto the gun.

Roger

bobhustead
03-31-2017, 08:18 AM
I would not likely run any joint on liquid lube unless the design incorporates a bath of the lube. E.g. older 4wd steering knuckles that held a sealed chamber of lubricant around a ball bearing u-joint or unsealed cross and roller joint. Liquid by itself will not stay in place (gravity, centrifugal force).
Bob

RC64
03-31-2017, 08:54 AM
Good points, all.

I'm not inclined to argue with success while making the job more complicated. I'll go with the grease.

2liter4cyl
03-31-2017, 09:59 AM
FYI: to make it easy to grease a u-joint, get an adapter for the gun. ( It acts like the needle for a basketball,) then it will fit the little ball on the zerk. Not unlike some oil cans.
It works in tight places where there is no room for the grease gun end. Can be found at most lube outlets. Le T.

Brinkerhoff
03-31-2017, 11:28 AM
It is pretty gutsy for the British to think they can contain oil inside of a u joint , given their success with engines, gearboxes , rear axles ...